• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85 Cherokee Laredo Starts...but Doesn't

CommieGIR

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 1985 Cherokee Laredo, my dream car, with the 2.8 V6. I'm not too concerned about the engine because in about a month it will be swapped with a diesel, but it needs to run for now.

The car starts, but I have to give it fuel to get it to idle (boost it to 3,000 RPMs and then let it drop and it will idle).
Also, if the engine stalls AT ALL, it will not start again for a good couple of hours even if I feed it starting fluid.

I have not gotten to check the ignition system yet, but what do you all recommend?

im not a techicnal genius,but bare with me.i got the same motor,235000 km on it,and it runs great!.now i had this happen to me before,i believe it is caused by the little vent on the top of the carburator,it tends to stick closed.buy some carb cleaner,remove air housing,(label vac lines if neccexary)with the engine off,spray all the parts around the carb,let sit for 5 mins,then start her up.now let it heat up until you see the choke plate(yes that is its name!not little vent sorry.)open up,now spray the cleaner directly into that bitches mouth,but do not let the engine stall.empty the can into it!this should help for now.now when you start her up,and if it still dies,you will have to remove the air housing cover,remember the choke plate?this is for sure that it has still stuck close,open it by hand and put a screwdriver in its mouth to hold it open.now keep your foot on the gas and start her up!!it will fire up guarenteed!this trick has saved me many towings,hope i have helped you out a bit here.let me know
dave

p.s. or if worse comes to worse you could a:buy a haynes it shows you which screws are adjustable on the carb or b:pay a couple of bucks to have it adjusted by a carb specelast,not a garage

Sounds like it has a major vacuum leak. (intake gasket is pretty common) You could swap in an Isuzu diesel from a Chevy luv (the bell housing may even be the same)

Back