• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna

MT Mike

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my POS CB antenna, and am looking at the Firestik brands. I'd like to know which is better suited to 4wheeeling, the Firestik II or the Firestik Firefly. If anybody has any experience with either of these antennas (good, bad, or other) please chime in.

Regardless of where I place mine I seem to sheer the glass antenna's off. I bought a magnetic roof mount wilson 1000 and it seems to do the job. Are you looking for best reception or trail use, short distance only?

mtmike said:
I need to replace my POS CB antenna, and am looking at the Firestik brands. I'd like to know which is better suited to 4wheeeling, the Firestik II or the Firestik Firefly. If anybody has any experience with either of these antennas (good, bad, or other) please chime in.
get a k40 they are flexable so when you go under trees etc is bends not breaks

I am mainly looking for trail use, but would occasionally use it on road trips. I don't know much about the K-40s. Is there a specific model I should get? I have the under hood/fender mount if that helps. I don't want some 10 foot tall wannabe trucker antenna either....

Just go to radio shack they sell them there. They have them in all different sizes and I would imagine you would probably want a black one over a white one. I think I am only running a 3 or 4 foot one with a spring base on it.

IF you want a GREAT all around CB antenna; for the money... you wont find a more durable better performer than the Wilson 1000 or 5000.
I have run the same Wilson 1000 on my 98 XJ for 10 years now and the whip has been bent over full horizontal thru numerous obstacles and will spring back to full vertical without damage. The magnet has a 250 lb pull that has only been dislodged a few times when hit by a large tree branch down close to the roof.
You get what you pay for when your purchase a Wilson Antenna.
Remember.... the Antenna makes the system not the radio. A cheap radio will perform well with a quality antenna, but a quality radio will perform poorly with a cheap antenna...

Thanks for the response guys. I'm going to check out both the K40 and the Wilson. I'm not very thrilled with a magnet mount, but I might go that route. If anybody else has anything to add, then please do.
Mike

I run a Baseload Larsen on the XJ and a base load with a 48" whip on the YJ (Forget the manufactures name, but they own Wilson).

The key I have found is a light weight antenna with plenty of radiator.
Lots of rocking back and forth off-road and that is transmitted directly to the antenna and mount and gets converted to a whipping motion. If the antenna can't flex, the mounting system better be real stong.

Fiberglass whips tend to get caught and either break the mount or if spring loaded, wack the side of the vehicle mercilessly. Baseload antennas with medium sized whips tend just to flex and whip back and forth, but don't break their mounts.

I actually found a Firestick on the trail once. Looked new and even had 1/2 of the antenna mounting hardware still attached to it where it broke off :D

Both the K40 and the Wison would be good choices. I like K40s, they tune easily and well.

Ron

I run a Barjan "Military" antenna on a magnet base. Gets out pretty good. I had a buddy tune it for me. Tried to find it to post a link but couldn't find one. I bought mine at a farm store. Here is the best pics of mine I could find.

IMG_4212.jpg

passenger rear

IMG_3875.jpg

For those of you running magnet mounts, where do you route your cable?
I've had rigs in the past with a mag mount antenna that is just run down through the door, then under the trim to the CB. I always ended up with water leaks and "wind" doors after that. That's not something I care to repeat. I like the mag mounts for simplicity of mounting, but I just want a better way to get the cable inside than through a door or window.

Ok went out and got some better pics

Barjan Military antenna on magnet mount (4' metal whip on top of that)

IMG_42841.jpg

zip tied the cable to roof rails

IMG_42851.jpg

just made a slit in this plug and ran the cable through, got this idea from the drivers side where the wiring harness for my hitch goes through.

IMG_42861.jpg

Any problem with water leaks? Was the coax long enough to run up to your CB? How long was your coax? If you haven't had any issues with that setup, I'll probably copy it.

Zuki-Ron said:
Both the K40 and the Wison would be good choices. I like K40s, they tune easily and well.

Ron
and they have a no questions asked warranty, it's funny my k40 survived a rollover trees etc... but it didn't survive a 3yr old :)

mtmike said:
Any problem with water leaks? Was the coax long enough to run up to your CB? How long was your coax? If you haven't had any issues with that setup, I'll probably copy it.
No water leaks, any water that goes in there drains out the rear quarter I guess. I think my cable was 25'. My cb is mounted on the passenger side of the center counsel by the shifter. I really like this set up. I have hit low branches and it just knocks it over, ie no damage. Also I can just lay it over to go into garages, car wash, etc. I think you would like this set up.

97XJ Jeeper said:
No water leaks, any water that goes in there drains out the rear quarter I guess. I think my cable was 25'. My cb is mounted on the passenger side of the center counsel by the shifter. I really like this set up. I have hit low branches and it just knocks it over, ie no damage. Also I can just lay it over to go into garages, car wash, etc. I think you would like this set up.

Good deal. Thanks for the pics and the idea.

I have the K40 and it is permanently mounted (antenna comes off) to the roof above the sunglasses holder in the overhead console. The antenna constantly hits both front doors and the windshield while 4 wheeling ( real definition of the word Whip Antenna). The K40 and Wilson antenna's are the best you can buy but IMO for just off-road use everyone is usually so close that you need to turn the gain way down just to talk or hear anyone. I just bought a cheap 2ft fiberglass antenna that I intend to install on my swingaway tire carrier which should only stick up about the same as my hi-lift jack. I really don't use the CB on the hiway so with the close range use only I think saving my windows and windshield is more important than radio transmission qualities. Just my own opinion and CB use. Judge and buy for your application of the CB.

mtmike said:
Thanks for the response guys. I'm going to check out both the K40 and the Wilson. I'm not very thrilled with a magnet mount, but I might go that route. If anybody else has anything to add, then please do.
Mike
The wilson comes in magnet, roof, and trunk mount options. I just put on a Wilson 5000 roof mount after loosing 2 magnet mount antennas during high speed jeepspeed style driving.:gag:

Back