• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" Currie - Front

JNickel101

NAXJA Forum User
I know of one or two people running a high pinion Ford 9" front axle from Currie Enterprises...

Trying to get an overall assessment...

Anyone else running one? How do you like it? Thoughts, opinions, other....?

Racejudge on NMWheeling and NMVJC is running the low pinion version. Seems to be a good axle after he swapped out the stock outers for chromos. When he ordered the axle he asked for chromo shafts and didn't realize he had to specify inners and outers.

I asked him about it and he said he spent way too much money on it and if he had to do it again, would run something different. This was a while back.

Justin, what size tires are you gonna run?

I cant figure out how you can run a high 9" on a XJ when the regular 9" will hit the stock exhaust. You would have to give 2-3 inches of wheel travel. Also to spend all that money and use a 8.8 R&P, ?

I'm just looking at all my options here...and trying to learn about each one in the process...

FordGuy - 8.8 R&P? what am i missing?

Greg - not sure - its kinda gonna depend on what I build. 33s most likely. 5.5-6" lift, looking at the RK 3 link upgrade + trimming

My deal is that i have the LP D30. (RCP , i know you'll chime in here...) but for my piece of mind I want to upgrade to a HP. I've looked at a HP D44 (south american jeep) but that really doesnt do much except let me run a bigger ring gear. plus, for the price of one....

Then i thought, i'll upgrade to a HP D30, truss, new UCA/LCA mounts, WJ knuckles, high steer, WJ brakes, sport trac rotors, OA trackbar mount, chromolly shafts inside and out, 4.56 gears....

then i added all that up....hmmmm...

so I priced a HP 9" - but now i'm being told the 3rd member will hit the exhaust? The dudes at currie didnt mention that....why do they call it the "ultimate jeep axle" if its too big???

JNickel101 said:
I'm just looking at all my options here...and trying to learn about each one in the process...

FordGuy - 8.8 R&P? what am i missing?

The CHP uses a 8.8 ring gear from IFS diffs. Not a true 9"

also, I believe they won't put 44 outers on it. I think they put 30 outers on everything that is not D60 size.

If you're going to spend that much money and want a complete axle, I would look into Shaffers or Mad4wd who can build exactly what you want, using any housing and outers.

Thanks!

EDIT: ARRRGGH!!! Too many options!!! I feel like my head is gonna explode...

Last edited:
lost me with the 609...???

but yeah, i've read plenty...i cant decide on a D44, Ford 9" or beef up the D30. i searched on here for 9" stuff and it all pertains to rears...hardly anyone is running a 9" front. that alone should tell me something, but i want to cover all my angles and try to "get smart" on everything before i decide.

&%$#*@ pirate...but thanks. too much bickering on there, the little bit that i saw...

Last edited:
There are a ton of opinions on which axle is best, and thats why I just finally listened to John Currie who has spent his entire life building axles. They build every type imaginable. He sold me a 9" for a couple of reasons. very strong, it was very important to have a axle housing that would not bend, clearance would not be a issue once the housing is shaved, parts can be had anywhere in the world if you need it, and after looking at what breaks, and you can break anything I like the fact that if I bust the front axle, 99% chance it will be a outer axle, and Its easily removed to get the rig home. All said and done, my 9" was only $200 more than a 44 and I went with the good axles, arb, shaved housing, extra thick tubes etc..

Id say that most guys running less than 35" tires, are not too worried about their front axle, I run 33's and carry spare outters just in case. I will be going with chromoly shafts from Yukon, and call it a day. Just my 2cents

JNickel101 said:
lost me with the 609...???

but yeah, i've read plenty...i cant decide on a D44, Ford 9" or beef up the D30. i searched on here for 9" stuff and it all pertains to rears...hardly anyone is running a 9" front. that alone should tell me something, but i want to cover all my angles and try to "get smart" on everything before i decide.

&%$#*@ pirate...but thanks. too much bickering on there, the little bit that i saw...
Dana 60 outers + truhi 9 center section = 609. it is simple math....

tomcat said:
That sounds like a pretty cool set up, and I am sure they use the HD center with the v cut thick wall tubes. Would also give you great brake options

tomcat said:

Thanks for the Math lesson Mr Wizard....

Its not the math that confused me. I've never heard of a "609" axle. Thats what lost me. When I hear 609, i think NJ area code, so....

FordGuy said:
There are a ton of opinions on which axle is best, and thats why I just finally listened to John Currie who has spent his entire life building axles. They build every type imaginable. He sold me a 9" for a couple of reasons. very strong, it was very important to have a axle housing that would not bend, clearance would not be a issue once the housing is shaved, parts can be had anywhere in the world if you need it, and after looking at what breaks, and you can break anything I like the fact that if I bust the front axle, 99% chance it will be a outer axle, and Its easily removed to get the rig home. All said and done, my 9" was only $200 more than a 44 and I went with the good axles, arb, shaved housing, extra thick tubes etc..

Thats what I figured too....

so you didnt get the HP 9 - how's your ground clearance?

I think you get plenty of clearance

IMG_1027.jpg

Last edited:
Blackchrome said:
Id say that most guys running less than 35" tires, are not too worried about their front axle, I run 33's and carry spare outters just in case. I will be going with chromoly shafts from Yukon, and call it a day. Just my 2cents
x2,get HP housing and swap over your stuff(less gears).Everything else you talked about would depend on what your true need would be.Id do rear disc brakes before a WJ set-up.If your only going 33's,KISS!
:wave1:

Back