• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country lift

Please search on this subject, there is a thread on Rough Country products on the first page of mod tech. If you read through that this lift is explained in there. Search on add a leafs also and you wil find your answers.

-Alex

i have that same lift sittin in my yard, it was a pretty good lift. if your looking at rough country then talk to Jason. (grimus99xj) he'll hook you up

Do a search on rough country.. Some good stuff...I would buy from RC, get the new leaf pack... Add a leaf don't last..

89 xj with 6.5 RC lift

I have that lift on now - the picture is NOT representative of the kit. The add-a-leafs have been on for 2 years and have not sagged. The lift is stiff and will definitley give you a firmer ride than stock. Its a good lift for the price though, the price through Whitney is a little more than I actually paid. Check eBay as well. True, you get what you pay for, but it is very easy to pay more than you have to for a 3" lift. This kit is just fine unless you want something to ride like stock.

klei2fast said:
Doesn't the JC Whitney RC 3" lift come with shorter AAL's that should be avoided?
From what I have read yes the jc whitney uses the short add aleafs and should be avoided. The kit from Jason has full lenght add-a-leafs.
I got mine from Jason @ RC.Here is his contact info.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=20493
I do not remember what I payed for my 3.5" but it was a great price and a great product for the money. I also got the fixed lower arms for mine. Great price and definately great service. Jason is a great person to deal with and as an added bonus NAXJA members get a 10% discount. enjoy

Narfxj said:
Dont be fulled by the picture. All that stuff that is in the picture is not included.

i can't stand companies that try to "fool" customers with over exaggerating there products in photographs. like the fast food chains that advertise a big fat juicy burger that's five inches thick. then you get a sorry ass burger that's barely two inchs. jc whitney is no different. they are just hoping that you don't read the small print.....

rc isn't bad. i've got the 4.5 with full leafs and disconnects. i like it so far.

I have a 4.5" RC lift with full leafs and I would buy it again! definatly get ahold of Jason he will get you fixed up. Rough Countrys customer service is awsome! I would deffinatly consider spending alittle more and getting the full leaf packs you will be happier in the long run i have a buddy with aal sagging after 2months not RC though.

The 3" lift from JCW is Springs, AAL, a block, ubolts and shocks.
The real cheap version is only Springs, block, u-bolts and AAL.

You install the block, OR the AAL and it yeilds you 3". I added both and installed spacers over the front coils to level it out. IIRC, I put in a 2.5" Teraflex spacer on top of the stock isolator. There was a write up on Cherokee America on the lift, but I can't find it.

I have installed that kit on 3 Jeeps. The AAL works OK on the street and mild wheeling.
A 85' then transfered the kit to an 86', a 88' as a fresh install (street only) and on my 98' as a starter kit.

After time and heavy wheeling, the AAL flattens out a bit and needs to be replaced.
The Coils are soft and provide a nice ride. The Shocks are good quality and put up with a bunch of abuse.

Remember that you will need to relocate your brake lines, perhaps your ebrake cable block, and redrill your trackbar bracket for your new lift to work. You will also need to do a basic front end alignment (Toe in & steering wheel centering) and perhaps deal with driveline vibrations- though these are all tuning aspects after changing the suspension geomety.

I have the RC 4.5" and I should have gone with the RE instead. I like being able to keep my fillings in while driving. It's a great lift for offroad though, just need to trim the fenders

....wait, did someone say the rc shocks were good?
the rest of your post got disregarded after that line
put it this way, if the bushings absorb more impacts then the shock, its not a good shock...

I'm just a newbi here but I would follow suggestions above - get full leaf pack instead of add a leaf. The Heckelthorn shocks that come with the RC lifts are on the tight side, but what do you expect. I have the 4.5" lift and I'm pleased so far - considering getting the drop bracket for control arms.
Some people swear that their rig "rides like a caddy" but I find that a little hard to beleive. RC is a good lift, an excellent lift for the price and customer service just flat out can't be beat - as stated above, talk to Jason. If you have money burning a whole in your pocket and you want that touring sedan ride, consider an Old Man Emu system. Just my opinion

I have the 4.5 RC leafs and it rides very respectably...better than the hodgepodge lift that I had before. I also have the adjustable shocks in the rear to compensate for a load or empty and looking for a cush ride.
I also went to an AT tire as opposed to the old MT tires. Don't forget that tires will make a difference as well.

xcm said:
....wait,insult, bla, bla, bla...

I'm sorry, everything after "wait" was crap, so I didn't bother to read yours either ;)

I didn't say they were excellent shocks, and I didn't say there were crap. I said "Good".
Same set of shocks on the XJ for 4 years now, dings in them and many, many Off-Road trips, and they still do exactly what they were designed for. I call that "Good Quality".
The Ride on the Hwy is about the same as stock with the lift kit mentioned.

Last edited:
Back