• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end clunking...

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting a clunking sound from the front end. It only seems to happen when I am moving and turn the wheel. Or when I go over a speed bump or dip with 1 wheel. I did some searching and I think it may be the sway bar bushings.

I tried to find some replacements but I see several different sizes. What size do I need? How hard are they to replace? And what brand/type/material bushings would you guys recommend?

Should probably be in the OEM section, but you could do what I did, go to autozone, open a Jeep Cherokee haynes manual, look it up, go grab the part. Or just go ask the guy behind th parts counter. As for material, I'm guessing you get choices of rubber or polysumptin. Rubber will absorb more vibration, polystuff will last longer.

You might want to check your Track bar Mount make sure its tight and has loosened up, i had a similar noise tightened mount and was gone.

Make sure your trackbar is tight at the axle and the TRE that's on it isn't worn.
Lay down in front of the jeep and have someone cycle the steering while you look for movement. Betcha it's the track bar.

x3 on the track bar - I just got off my garage floor about an hour ago and I came to the same conclusion. I had the exact same problem - mine was more of a bang than a clunk - is there a difference.

SanDiegoXJ said:
Should probably be in the OEM section

Lol I thought I was in the OEM section. But, I will head to Autozone tomorrow and pic some up. Ill also check the trackbar...would be nice if that fixes it.

Gurantee it's _NOT_ the sway bar bushings. Easy check is to disconnect the sway bar and see that it's still there.

trackbar is the likely culprit as most have mentioned but it can also be the control arm bushings. after tightening and checking those, check your Tie Rod ends for any play. as mark mentioned, sway bar bushings don't usually cause clunking unless they are completely disintegrated

Ok thanks for the info guys. Ill disco the sway bar tomorrow as well as check out the track bar, tre and control arm bushings.

BigMike80 said:
I am getting a clunking sound from the front end. It only seems to happen when I am moving and turn the wheel. Or when I go over a speed bump or dip with 1 wheel. I did some searching and I think it may be the sway bar bushings.

I tried to find some replacements but I see several different sizes. What size do I need? How hard are they to replace? And what brand/type/material bushings would you guys recommend?
check track bar drop bracket, needs to be reallyreally really tight:cheers:

Since nobody has thought of this yet...

...why don't you check the track bar or the control arm bushings?!

Geez...bunch of noobs in here!!! LOL!

BigMike80 said:
I thought I was in the OEM section...

This kind of IS the right section.. :D BUT, then "Man" wants to keep up down and makes us post topics in the OEM and the Modified forums.

btw - check your track bar. :looney:

E

I just got under there with the tires still on the ground. I dont have jack stands yet. I see one bolt with no nut on it on the trackbar mount. Ill get a pic of it soon. And here is a pic of what the trackbar looks like where it mounts to the Jeep. Im not sure if this is bad or not...Im a newb about this stuff.

Maybe someone in SD could take a look at it with me this weekend (If you arent going to TDS).

trackbarmount.jpg

I rotated the pic in photobucket...but it still shows up like this. Sorry.

its best is someone moves your steering wheel back and forth while you track down the play and clunking noise. By looking at the pic, I would say that your stock trackbar might need tightening or replacement

I'll be around tomorrow through Saturday if you want. I'll just be working on my junk trying to get it ready for Sunday...oh, and happy hour friday. :yelclap:

BigMike80 said:
I just got under there with the tires still on the ground. I dont have jack stands yet. I see one bolt with no nut on it on the trackbar mount. Ill get a pic of it soon. And here is a pic of what the trackbar looks like where it mounts to the Jeep. Im not sure if this is bad or not...Im a newb about this stuff.

Maybe someone in SD could take a look at it with me this weekend (If you arent going to TDS).

trackbarmount.jpg

I rotated the pic in photobucket...but it still shows up like this. Sorry.

Where in SD are you?

Have someone turn the wheel while you go under and look/listen.

everyone pretty much agrees on trackbar as do i...however!, i had/have the same problem, and my trackbar is completely tight....then as my buddy was underneath he directed the sound right to my steering shaft...everytime you turn the wheel an inch or so left or right it gives off this popping/cracking noise once it gets a little warmer here zero degrees outside now...were gonna rip out the steering and upgrade it...not sayin this is your problem but may help a little

Back