• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currie or JCR OTK steering?

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
I'm going to get some new steering for my d30. I'm currently looking at the currie HD steering w/ a goforit tie rod flip on the passenger side (basically like this http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=5&highlight=xj+buildup+III) or a 1 ton OTK setup like JCR offroad or TNT customs. I also considered doing a Tera passenger side knuckle for crossover steering but I think its going to come out to be a little more then I want to spend. What do you guys think? Inverted Y like the currie, or an inverted T setup like JCR? Thanks.

P.S. Please dont tell me about swaybar mount problems or trackbar relocation problems, etc. because they will be taken care of.

I am running the JCR 1-ton on my rig and it has been great so far...but This weekend at Winterfest will be its first "true" test! :D

what kit is that?

Ba-Riedo said:
Since your in the NW I would check out the kit that John (avanteone) sells through Auburn Car Repair and Offroad.

-Alex

ya I heard about that kit...isnt it an inverted T setup with 1 ton TRES and DOM tubing? I will have to check it out a little more...

If your willing to ream your knuckles, go with the JCR. That way you can get spare TREs at any napa or the like.

Currie is awesome if you dont want to ream your knuckles or mess with the sway bar mounts. Ive heard that each TRE is different, and spares are costly.

I run JCR 1-ton and love it.

It's so much easier to adjust than an inverted Y set up. If I did it again, I'd do it OTK, but I'm happy with it either way.

ddeadserious said:
I run JCR 1-ton and love it.

It's so much easier to adjust than an inverted Y set up. If I did it again, I'd do it OTK, but I'm happy with it either way.
I agree with you on that one
P1010779.jpg

Thats with a stock pitman arm, RE HD trackbar, and about 6.5'' of lift. Not perfect, but close. No death wobble or anything funny until my max speed of 65mph. :eek:

xeleventybillion on JCR OTK, just installed it a couple weekends ago. Beefy, easy install, works, and looks great.

so i've been looking at the jcr kit pretty seriously but can't decide whether or not to go otk. it would make sense because i'm running long arms at about 5-6" and haven't set up a track bar yet. but... i'd really like to keep my sway bar functional. what have you otk guys done to address the sway bar and trac bar issues? i can't weld but there is a local metal fab shop that does some nice work... it's time to replace the stock setup and i'm pretty set on jcr. if i go regular with the re hd track bar, is there any reason why i cant mod things relatively easily later on to go otk?

Ba-Riedo said:
Since your in the NW I would check out the kit that John (avanteone) sells through Auburn Car Repair and Offroad.

-Alex
How much does it run for OTK from him? Me and 2 other of my friends with lifted XJ's have been all trying to contact him and he won't even reply to any of us. And how much does he charge to install?

BADaXJ said:
so i've been looking at the jcr kit pretty seriously but can't decide whether or not to go otk. it would make sense because i'm running long arms at about 5-6" and haven't set up a track bar yet. but... i'd really like to keep my sway bar functional. what have you otk guys done to address the sway bar and trac bar issues? i can't weld but there is a local metal fab shop that does some nice work... it's time to replace the stock setup and i'm pretty set on jcr. if i go regular with the re hd track bar, is there any reason why i cant mod things relatively easily later on to go otk?
Long arms vs short arms have no give in if you should go OTK or not.

I have the RE HD trackbar on the stock axle mount. Obviously sway bars were cut off, but I believe Currie sells some extended ones. Find a NAXJA member close to you, bring a 6 pack and they should weld them on for you.

If you do the JCR kit, remember that you have to ream the knuckles. So if you go UTK at first, and then decide you want OTK, you will have to replace your knuckles.

BTW, if you look back up a couple posts at the picture I showed, you can see that the track bar and steering are not exactly parallel. But I get no bumpsteer, or death wobble. While Im not going above 65, I dont think it should be a problem above that either.

BTW2, if you want to go OTK with the JCR kit, tell them before you buy it. This way they will ream the pass side TRE the right way. Otherwise it will be drilled for UTK and not work.

I say go for the Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering Kit. $350.00 I just got mine and It's sick. Go to The Cherokee section, XJ Suspension Build Components, then the X Factor Plus Steering Kit. Lots of clearance and extremely beefy. I have no issues at all. Bolts right in.
Here is a pic:
Jeepsteeringstuff001.jpg

Long arms vs short arms have no give in if you should go OTK or not.

i'm aware that it's not a rule... i was just implying that i'd be dealing with a lot of down travel which may be taxing on an under the knuckle setup. i may just go for OTK get the RE HD track bar and then go for the ?JKS? over axle bracket later on and have the track bar shortened if there is a problem. i'm not going to run into issues with OTK because of too little lift right?

Starboard M said:
Wow, how do those not hit each other?
The tie rod is bowed out purposely to avoid hitting. Here is a pic:
LejeuenyardsalesMarch08001.jpg

Full left steer:
LejeuenyardsalesMarch08005.jpg

Full right steer:
LejeuenyardsalesMarch08008.jpg

Full right steer underneath:
LejeuenyardsalesMarch08009.jpg

Everyone comments on how it looks odd and there should be all these issues, but I'm telling you it works like a dream.:clap:

I have the Currie HD kit with goforit tie rod flip insert. My set up works great and is proven tuff and reliable. When it comes to steering I went with a company that has been in the indistry for many years and has a proven track record. If you want to get creative call Sheldon at goforit products he told me that some guys order a right hand drag link from mopar and use two of the tie rod flip inserts to do a complete tie rod flip on the D30.

does anyone have any pictures of the modifications required for the coil buckets with the JCR OTK kit? also, any ideas for sway bar mount locations?

Back