• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac Bar Frame Mount

Renegade

NAXJA Forum User
I have the Rubicon Express trac bar (RE 1600) that required you to drill the frame mount. Anyway the hole seemed to have wallowed out and cant keep the bolt/nut tight for more than a day of driving. It makes a creaking noise when i make left turns or go over bumps. The steering box mount is fine. I put a lock washer and thread locker on the trac bar bolt now but it still doesnt last. Im thinking of getting a HD mount or go to the yard and getting a new one and drill a better hole.... any help appreciated.

Thanks

96 XJ 3.5 RE lift

So, i assume the holes on the HD mount will be the same size as the hole on the heim joint....?

Renegade said:
So, i assume the holes on the HD mount will be the same size as the hole on the heim joint....?

No, the HD mount has 1/2" holes and the heim has a 3/4" ID with a sleeve to reduce it to 5/8". So you need to either drill the mount out to 5/8" (or 3/4") or get a different sleeve for the heim. Drilling the mount is simple enough, but if you are considering changing to the HD track bar in the future you may not want to drill the mount. My heim was getting sloppy so I replace it with a Johnny Joint:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=941777

Alright thanks for the info. I wish that hole on the stock mount didnt wallow out that fast....

Mine didn't wallow out at all. I would guess that maybe yours wasn't tight enough. I tightened mine well beyond 150ft-lbs (that's all my torque wrench reads, then cranked on it some more), added red loc-tite and double nutted it.

Yeah i think i did a crappy job drilling out the hole... then it wasn't tight enough.... i think im gonna just get the same mount, drill a better hole, double nut, locktite it up..... thanks for the info

Back