• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running hot

natesjeep

NAXJA Forum User
about a week or two ago i overheated my jeep to the point to were the coolant was boiling out. i replaced the tstat helped for about a week but now it runs at about 220-225 when driving for about an hour. it a 97 cherokee with the 4.0L what do you think it is

Last edited:
From my experience, once you cook an engine, it never runs the same again. Sorry

i do have heat. i dont think the engine is gone because i still have the same amout of power and everything. also the coolant looks good and so does the oil.

I may be wrong but i think the whole point of the cooling systems upgrade for 92-01 is that it doesnt get air pockets only 87-91 got the air pockets. I have an 89 and its did the same thing and then i upgraded my cooling system to the one they have on the 4.0 high output and now i have NO problems what so ever but you already have that cooling system so my best guess is completley flush your system. Empty every last drop of coolant and use a radiator flush or radiator cleaner and follow the directions. After you do that fill it with a good quality 50/50 mix coolant and then add royale purples Purple Ice. Purple Ice is a high performance, synthetic, radiator coolant additive. It reduces engine heat by reducing the surface tension of the radiator fluids for improved heat transfer. It also helps to prevent the formation of scale deposits in the radiator for better coolant flow, and it lubricates the water pump seals.

Last edited:
Back