• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ANY perf/aftermarket Dist. CAPS for '99??

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can any one advise re availablity of quality/performance aftermarket distributor cap for '99 XJ....from Accel, MSD, Mallory, etc?? It appears that none may be available.......

Thanks very much.

You can buy an Accel cap with brass terminals from Summit Racing. I don't consider it much of an upgrade 'cause the stock cap is good for 60k miles.

Expedient said:
Can any one advise re availablity of quality/performance aftermarket distributor cap for '99 XJ....from Accel, MSD, Mallory, etc?? It appears that none may be available.......

Thanks very much.

Do you have coil on plug? I know some late build 99's have this. Are you asking to swap back to a distri/coil/wire set-up, or just want to upgrade you existing stuff?

CartsXJ said:
Do you have coil on plug? I know some late build 99's have this. Are you asking to swap back to a distri/coil/wire set-up, or just want to upgrade you existing stuff?

NO, original separate-coil config. Just lookin' to upgrade the ignition, with MSD-6a, MSD wires...and a good-quality cap/rotor...

WHAT brand, and version/part no., plugs can anyone recommend??

Thanks much for any input!

Most Borg-Warner caps/rotors also have brass terminals, and cost about half as much as Accel. Check what they've got on the shelf - typical dizzy caps have either aluminum or brass terminals, and you should be able to readily tell the difference.

The MSD isn't going to be of much utility to you, unless you're going to build a stroker and/or forced induction. Apart from that, the OEM ignition provides PLENTY of spark power - the only real difference you'll have with the MSD is about 20 crankshaft degrees worth of sparks, rather than the single spark of OEM.

5-90

5-90 said:
Most Borg-Warner caps/rotors also have brass terminals, and cost about half as much as Accel. Check what they've got on the shelf - typical dizzy caps have either aluminum or brass terminals, and you should be able to readily tell the difference.

The MSD isn't going to be of much utility to you, unless you're going to build a stroker and/or forced induction. Apart from that, the OEM ignition provides PLENTY of spark power - the only real difference you'll have with the MSD is about 20 crankshaft degrees worth of sparks, rather than the single spark of OEM.

5-90

Yes, I didn't expect the gains presumable on a high-perf. application...so, do you feel that the 20-degree-duration spark is of any REAL benefit?? I'm interested in any fuel-efficiency gains as much, or more so, than on the power/performance side... Also, would the MSD Blaster 2 coil, for example, provide benefit??

Thanks.

I'm running the Firepower Ignition from Quadratec and I am very pleased with it.
It comes with a cap/rotor, coil and some very extreme looking plug wires.

xjtrailrider said:
I'm running the Firepower Ignition from Quadratec and I am very pleased with it.
It comes with a cap/rotor, coil and some very extreme looking plug wires.

Can you advise the voltage on the Firepower coil??

Thanks.

your local advance auto parts should be able to order you a brass accel cap/rotor kit for around 20 bucks with same day delivery. someone told me zone has their "duralast gold" series which has brass terminals.

Expedient said:
Yes, I didn't expect the gains presumable on a high-perf. application...so, do you feel that the 20-degree-duration spark is of any REAL benefit?? I'm interested in any fuel-efficiency gains as much, or more so, than on the power/performance side... Also, would the MSD Blaster 2 coil, for example, provide benefit??

Thanks.

Probably some small benefit - but HP ignition is best used to complement other mods.

5-90

try going to napa and getting an echilin cap (brass terminals), ngk plugs, an msd blaster ss coil, and some good wires. made a HELL of a difference in power, and got me back about 5 mpg all around. working w/ a 99 115k. and 8 inches w 33's.

Back