• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MSD Conversions/Blaster/Nology Coil Conversion Q's

Raceghost

NAXJA Forum User
I see on some websites, a harness for converting your 4.0L RENIX pack, into utilizing a MSD Ignition and 3rd party coil of choice. Has any one got a write up, or walk through utilizing an MSD Offroad 6 unit, with Coil of their choice and similiar wiring diagram with converter or home made. I really want to change this thing over.

I can't think of who, one of the locals had done something like that.

And then he changed back so his jeep would perform again. :)

Why does one need a bigger coil? Guys with 4.0's and 4.7 strokers are running the stock coil with no problems..

I have a Crane Cams HI 6 ignition-simular to MSD 6AL-but better.It is on my 88 renix system.You dont really get rid of the renix set up it just bypasses the signal sent to the coil and modifys it to be Multiple spark type ignition.Some say "why?" and "it won't do nothing for you" I beg to differ that.My 4.0 has WAY more quicker throttle response than with stock ignition.AND no I did not have a faulty ignition system to begin with.It is quite simple really to hook up.You really don't have to get the harness for it.I do how ever actually like the Crane system.The coil they recomend for it( Crane's LX 92 ) bolts in place of the stock coil right on top of the stock renix ignition module!!! http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/Page106-107.pdf

If your stock ignition is working properly you won't notice any change going to the more spendy stuff except for the typical placebo effect.

I did have a coil conking out last year, it never failed entirely but it would break up at high rpm and cylinder pressure. I wasted a lot of time changing other aspects of the tune up.

to set up the msd box is pretty easy, I used a dodge coil and i went to the junk yard and bought the coil connector for a dodge coil. then i cut the original coil wires connected those to the msd box inputs, then i connected the outputs to the dodge coil wires and hook up power and ground. i did get better throttle response, but it wears coils faster. i know kyung from socal had bad problems with his msd 6 offroad unit on his stroker and he now runs with out it ( but i dont know what system he has now). oh by the way i ran it on a 99 HO motor

The mileage and throttle responce I got from going to the MSD 6AL box was noticable. I let my dad borrow the Jeep for a weekend after installing the MSD box and he noticed a difference. I run it through a stock coil since I didnt have the cash to spring for an aftermarket coil (got the MSD second hand for cheap). Sure the stock ignition is fine, but if you have the money and want to upgrade, there is improvement in going to an aftermarket box and coil. This is especially true if you have a stroker motor or have go fast parts installed inside the motor.

AARON

Ok, and any issues with my rig being an 88 and all?
I ordered a Nology Coil (huge) a year ago thinking it was just gonna be a bolt up...LOL
THen I noticed... then I cut the wire harness that plugs directly too the Renix unit, thinking my circuit foo was better then the old wise jeep masters...doh!
THen it wouldnt work, so I had to put it back to stock. Realizing I needed to get an entrie MSD unit, Coil, etc. to do the conversion.

So has anyone done it and had success with a similiar set up on a RENIX?

i have the msd 6a box and msd ss coil on my 89.

i needed to buy an msd adapter kit to connect the 6a box.

it was an easy install. i just followed the directions that came with the adapter and 6a ignition box.

i cant say whether the xj has any increase in performance but i dont have any problems with the setup. even after having it for 5-6 years, im still experimenting with the spark plug gap. i will say that i go through spark plugs quicker. i also still use copper plugs as im worried that platinims may not handle the heat/spark, but i could be wrong.

Nice. Snap a pick of mounting the units? I have been looking as to where to mount the box, and the coil? DO you get rid of the RENIX unit entirely? Any pics of install would be awsome. Thanks again 89xj.

The 6A will mount against the back face of the engine bay- the slope just below the cowl, where the emissions sticker is. The 6AL is larger and won't fit in that area. I put a 6AL above the 'Renix rat's nest' relay bank once I yanked all that mess out. Used a thin aluminum bracket bent and riveted.

ok see where your coolant jug sits?or if you have removed it and went to a closed system .my crane box is bolted under the bracket where the coolant jug sits or sat in my case.best plug to use for these types of boxes is the champion truck plug due to the thicker center electrode-i had ngk plugs in there lasted oh about 12k or so and were worn down to the ceramic!!!champion truck plugs have gone to about 25k or so.pkug gapped to .o45.I have herd so many bad stuff about msd 6al and the rreason people dont lik ethem or see that much of an improvement is plainly there not that great of a set up-I by the way absolutely love my crane hi 6 set up and coil-with the 11 mm plug wires of course!!I could get some pics later for you if yer interested.:repair:

89xj-- as for platinium plugs thats a no no with msd type boxes- one of the benifit of the msd's are that with normal stock set up when the plug "fires" the spark leaves the center electrode to the least resistance path to the ground electrode-platinium is easy on the entire STOCK ignition because it requires less energy to ground a very thin spark if you will.when you use an msd type box the spark is actually the FULL width of the center electrode so using the platinium plugs it can only go as wide as the thin wire-the champion truck plugs have the widest center i know of currently and the spark is going to be on the full width of the center electrode-picture if you will a pencil next to a thick sharpie pen-wihch one would you rather use for a spark width?

i hope this isn't too far off topic, but some of you guys seem pretty knowledgeable about the hi-po ignition stuff. i have one of those big blue jacobs ignition universal coils(brand new) that was given to me a while back. i was pondering installing this on my '96 since i have the thing just sitting around. anyone know of a reason why it wouldn't function properly with the rest of the electronics on the xj?

Ten High said:
i hope this isn't too far off topic, but some of you guys seem pretty knowledgeable about the hi-po ignition stuff. i have one of those big blue jacobs ignition universal coils(brand new) that was given to me a while back. i was pondering installing this on my '96 since i have the thing just sitting around. anyone know of a reason why it wouldn't function properly with the rest of the electronics on the xj?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, I have an MSD 6AL on my junk, but it needs it. A 4.0 doesn't. I'd throw that puppy on ebay and buy something that will make a difference on your ride.

markaboo929 said:
89xj-- as for platinium plugs thats a no no with msd type boxes- one of the benifit of the msd's are that with normal stock set up when the plug "fires" the spark leaves the center electrode to the least resistance path to the ground electrode-platinium is easy on the entire STOCK ignition because it requires less energy to ground a very thin spark if you will.when you use an msd type box the spark is actually the FULL width of the center electrode so using the platinium plugs it can only go as wide as the thin wire-the champion truck plugs have the widest center i know of currently and the spark is going to be on the full width of the center electrode-picture if you will a pencil next to a thick sharpie pen-wihch one would you rather use for a spark width?

thanks for the info. i run the champion copper plugs and they seem to work the best. i also found that .045 gap works well.

JJacobs said:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, I have an MSD 6AL on my junk, but it needs it. A 4.0 doesn't. I'd throw that puppy on ebay and buy something that will make a difference on your ride.

that's kind of what i figured. i'd kick my own ass if i put it on and ended up with bunch of issues. thanks.

Back