• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilt Engines For '01 Cherokee

dryflakescalp

NAXJA Forum User
My beautiful '90 Cherokee was just totalled last week thanks to an idiot who can't avoid parked cars. So I'm thinking the insurance check should go for another Cherokee. I saw a 2001 with a problem in the #3 cylinder that may need a valve job, or not. The engine has 122,000 miles. I'm asking the wise forum users for advice. If I buy it, and after its diagnosed, should I fix the valve or just replace/rebuild the engine and have basically a new engine? Are there any recommended remanufacturers? It seems like its a lot of work to replace the valves, so maybe the extra work to replace the engine would make sense?

Thanks

The 2000-2001 XJ 4.0s had problems with the head cracking and I believe it was between cylinders 3 & 4, maybe that is what is wrong with the Jeep you are looking at. If it is cheap enough buy it and plan on a engine rebuild. If you take the engine apart and everything looks good then throw it back together with a older head and you should be okay. If you don't work on engines I would make sure you get a good enough deal on this Jeep to still be money ahead after paying someone to put in a new engine. Maybe even buy a stroker engine for $2500!

Search the forum for the topic 0331 head. If there is a cracked head problem with the 01 a rebuilt or junkyard engine may be needed. The Jeep 4.0L engine should last a minimum of 250,000 with regular maintenance. A low mileage junkyard swap may be much cheaper than a rebuilt motor.

Sorry to hear about your 90. I'm with Tim on this. If you can't accurately diagnose it BEFORE you buy it, then you really should factor in the total costs (parts/labor) of a replacement engine into your offer. May be overkill but remember that Murphy's law is alive and very well. How did the current owner do the initial diagnosis to know that it is a #3 cylinder problem?

IMHO, The deal needs to go to the BUYER, not the seller when there are unknowns. How much are they asking for it? If the party won't deal, walk away. There are a lot of XJs for sale. Take your time!

Thanks! The '01 is $1,500 and looks in good shape otherwise. I spoke to one local guy who would put in a rebuilt for $2,700 with a warranty. So total it would be $4,200. I'm not getting that much for my '90, so I'd have to buy it and do the work out of pocket.

Just avoid the '00-'01. I ignorantly bought a 2000 for my wife a long time ago and now I'm "stuck" with it. Wishing I had a '99. I've got an LP d30 to replace and a head to worry about. the '99 has neither. YMMV

law.74 said:
Just avoid the '00-'01. I ignorantly bought a 2000 for my wife a long time ago and now I'm "stuck" with it. Wishing I had a '99. I've got an LP d30 to replace and a head to worry about. the '99 has neither. YMMV

didnt think the head was a problem on the 00, just the 01. i could be wrong though. 00 does have the low pinion though.

I have NO issues with my 00, but it all has to do with maintenance. If you don't take care of your Jeep it won’t take care of you. Most of the people who say bad things about them don’t take care of them. Most vehicles are useless after 175k but Jeeps are generally taken care of so they last longer. IMHO

if there is a problem with the head cracking, you would see a coolant trail under the valve cover between cyl 3 and 4 rockers through the oil cap hole. a lot of times it is just the exhaust valves hanging up and causing the misfire. there is a tsb to pump up the cylinders with compressed air and remove the rocker arms one cylinder at a time. collapse the spring and rotate the valve until it rotates freely, then do a good top end cleaning.

Look up Jasper engines on the net - premier rebuilder of domestic engines. I had one installed 75K/6 years ago and it's doing great. They're a little more expensive but it's worth it. Also ask around about them - when I was trying to decide what to do, I asked a dozen or so fairly knowledgeable sources and most of them spoke very highly of Jasper.

Back