• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reloading

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Well, found out how to tick off the girls behind the counter at the post office, order 4000 rounds of 230gr FMJ bullets. And it really ticks them off when they drop one of the 2000 round cartons and it breaks open and 200 bullets roll out on to the floor... Have to mention to Daniel to ship them a 1000 at a time for the next batch. That sob was HEAVY... thought the bottom or the handles were going to rip out of the plastic bin the PO loaned me.
Time to clear the decks for a marathon reloading session once my daughter gets here.

CharlesS said:
Two Thousand rounds.... WOW...
Thats A LOT of weight to ship....
Bet that Hazardous Materials shipping fee was expensive...

Not "rounds" - just the bullets. Technically, you can't ship ammo via USPS - it's ORM-D.

But yeah, that's a lot of weight. 230gr x 2000 - 460,000 grains @ 7000 grains/pound = ~65 pounds/box. Just under the 70# limit for UPS...

And Hazmat fees are usually per box, not by weight, anyhow (which does help!)

You planning to fight your way into or out of NYC ?

Wayne

5-90 said:
Not "rounds" - just the bullets. Technically, you can't ship ammo via USPS - it's ORM-D.

But yeah, that's a lot of weight. 230gr x 2000 - 460,000 grains @ 7000 grains/pound = ~65 pounds/box. Just under the 70# limit for UPS...

And Hazmat fees are usually per box, not by weight, anyhow (which does help!)

Ammo is not hazardous. And a hazmat is done by weight, about 70# limit IIRC. If you purchase powder and primers (both require hazmat) via an online reloading supplier you can lump purchases to the weight max, mix-and-match is always OK.

Ammo gets shipped all the time. Again, not a hazard, NOT an explosive.

I stocked up on powder and some bullets not long ago, I've got about 5K for the .45 and another 1K each for the 9mm and .38/.357. 16# of powder for the .223 and 20# of powder for the pistols. Pretty flush on brass for everything but 9mm. OK on large pistol primers, but kinda short on everything else. I just can't bring myself to pay what most places want for primers these days, $30/K!!!! Ahhh!

My best score for the recent past was getting 4K 55gr .223 fmjs for $.05 each in January from Cabelas. They raised their prices some months before but still had them in the 2007 paper catalog, so I went to the store and ordered them on Dec. 28 for the catalog price. I've seen them for $.10/ea locally. Prices are just nuts these days.

Last edited:
SCW said:
Ammo is not hazardous. And a hazmat is done by weight, about 70# limit IIRC. If you purchase powder and primers (both require hazmat) via an online reloading supplier you can lump purchases to the weight max, mix-and-match is always OK.

Ammo gets shipped all the time. Again, not a hazard, NOT an explosive.

I stocked up on powder and some bullets not long ago, I've got about 5K for the .45 and another 1K each for the 9mm and .38/.357. 16# of powder for the .223 and 20# of powder for the pistols. Pretty flush on brass for everything but 9mm. OK on large pistol primers, but kinda short on everything else. I just can't bring myself to pay what most places want for primers these days, $30/K!!!! Ahhh!

My best score for the recent past was getting 4K 55gr .223 fmjs for $.05 each in January from Cabelas. They raised their prices some months before but still had them in the 2007 paper catalog, so I went to the store and ordered them on Dec. 28 for the catalog price. I've seen them for $.10/ea locally. Prices are just nuts these days.

Ammo is not inherently hazardous, but it's still classified as ORM-D, and the Postal People don't want to carry it.

You pay Hazmat fees on powder and primers, and on tracer pills.

Fully loaded ammo isn't considered "hazardous" because there aren't any exposed flammables, and that's why it's ORM-D ("Other Restricted Materials, Class D.")

GSequoia said:
Close...

It's actually Other Restricted Materials - Domestic

Ah - that's what the "D" means. I knew about the "ORM" part, so I was sure about that...

So what's it called if you're shipping it to Canada or Mexico? Or can you? Enquiring minds want to know!

Trying to send any form of weapons or ammo over the Mexican border means hard time in a Mexican prison, from what I've heard.

Back