• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moving alt to ac mount

rubix-xj

NAXJA Member #1596
i have a 1990 xj, i have removed my ac (it was dead ) now im in the process of moving my alternator up to that mount . i had a pic and it looked like the guy had used the left ac bolt in one ear of the alternator, but i can't see how the other side was mounted . i tried searching and didn't see any pics or the info i needed.
do i need to make a mount out of flat stock so that i can get the ears to mount up right? my only concern with that would be the any flex back and forth in the alt .
on a different note should i leave any parts of my ac in? i was just going to cut it back to the block on the fire wall and seal the tube ends.

ill take some pics later today .

thanks for the link i read that one already and about 15 other ones . i was trying to find the one with the picture, only because it didn't use any mount off another engine. i think i figured it out , i took the front plate from the lower mount , flipped it over and i was able to grab the right ear of the alternator and another screw hole a little father up on the alternator . this was all on the back of the alternator and this mount also grab the rear right rear ac mount . then the left ear (if your looking at it ) is in the left ac mount hole with some washers for spacers to get it inline with the other pulleys.
so now all i need to do is connect a new belt and see if every thing's all right . then comes the Taurus fan and fuel tank relocation ,i'll try and post some pics tomorrow of the bracket for the alt.

i took all my ac stuff out today, so if any one wants all the ac components for cheap email me

:patriot: :patriot:

im pretty sure that was the link , but i did things a little different . i think you can tell by the pic. i still need to get a belt and see if everything works .

Last edited:
I was under the impression that if you used the brackets of of a YJ 6cyl it would place the ALT in that position or close to it. That way you would just need a YJ belt and your good to go.

so you are using the stock lower bracket for one of the mounting points and the other point is through the left ear of the alt?Or do you have bolts through both ears somehow?Got a closer to the valve cover pic?

i will get better pics tomorrow.

if your looking at the engine .

the left ear of the alt is in front of the left ac bolt hole..(closest to the battery) with some washers and the same ac bolt i got the alt tight and some what lined up with the other pulleys.

then in the rear of the alternator,(now resting on the ac mount), i used the steel bracket that holds the alternator on when it was down low.. i don't have a pic of the stock set up , but i swear it was a steel bracket on the front for the alternator. thats the bracket , it is flipped over and turned around .(if i remember right). i was able to connect it to the right side ac bolt hole and thought bracket in the back, and into a hole a little father up in the alternator (this hole was a little rusty so i think it wasn't used before ). it basically is almost resting in the ac mount , but seems very solid , i tried to budge it with a pry bar and couldn't move it .

right now there are no bolts in the right alternator ear. but like i said it really doesn't move. i still need to get a belt for it and fire it up to make sure everything has lined up right.:patriot: :patriot:

next time im a the j-yard ill have to take a closer look at the yj set ups .

Last edited:
i need to do the string thing today to measure the length of the belt . hopefully this weekend i will have some time to finish and get the xj fired up .

im going to napa today to get the belt . i measured the belt length at 77" , thats with the adjuster in the middle . i will post back tonight after i get the xj running .

ok here is my horrible drawing of the belt route, plus a pic of the belt i used and a couple of pics of the actual belt on the jeep. it hadn't been run in a while and i could not get it started, but finally i got her to start up . im getting roughly 14 on the gauge , so it seems to be charging ok .

looking from the power steering pump down and across

looking from alt down and across engine

finally the belt number ,

wishihad1 said:
wow..thats the exact type of drawing i would do, so i totally understand it. awesome "writeup". and you said you used the stock alternator bracket?

thanks..

its is the steel part of the bracket that sits in front of the alt. you have to look at the pics to see how its flipped over and turned around .

i tried to get every angle , but i didn't get the pics of the stock mount where the bracket is located

:us: :us: :us:

since we're on the subject.I have dual fans so I don't need the stock fan pulley.Does anyone see a reason why this belt routing wouldn't work?The yellow line is where the belt would come down off the alt and go to the crank.There would be sufficient wrap on the alt,no?This pic is from someone else on here that relocated the alt to where the ac compressor used to be,deleted the fan pulley,and has dual alternators.

Last edited:
Back