• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Post and already bad news

naughty_auty

NAXJA Forum User
My family has owned jeeps all my life.

The first was a jeep cherokee chief 2.6 v6 lemon of a truck
Second was a 95 jeep grand cherokee now on it's fourth transmition
and the third installment a 07 grand they didn't go for the hemi

I'm more of car guy I race in scca events mostly more on that later.

I've owned two other jeeps both 89's 4L all power options. sold them why not to sure.

So I decided i wanted a jeep xj all the power options So I got one faded dark green
tan cloth 2.5" 3" lift not sure, and what a dog she is on the way home the trany lost third it needs brakes and the abs removed or replaced. It needs a front fender bumper and the brushgard removed or replaced the interior is ok but needs love and a drivers seat replaced.

So ok I'll find another one and fix this one up or visaversa then i look underneath to see what kind of trany it is and there it was the death nail the passenger floorboard is rusted out :bawl: so now instead of needing a parts truck i have a parts truck

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

What should I do don't really want to buy a nicer truck just to take it to the woods.

Welcome! And That Jeep isn't too bad to wheel. Also, if you look around, you could probably find a decent Jeep that's already got some modifications done to it in the $2000-3000 range if you don't mind spending some money. Maybe less than that if you find one you can fix with the parts you already have.

By the way, there's a few car guys on here as well. What do you race in SCCA?

-Jeremy

Well I really want to build it a project just don;t know if i should try with this dog.

I race solo1, timetrials, trackdays and scca runoffs just local stuff and more for practice/fun

Exactly what is it that you want this XJ for?
Most of the issues that you mention are cheap and easy to replace, fix or make workable for a off-road type rig. If you are looking for a nice daily driver then looking for a different rig might be a better option (but I think you would have notice that from the begining?).

Welcome to the club. We are more than willing to help with what you need but the more we understand from what you want the easier it is for us to give you practical info.

Michael

Welcome Auty. Your first mistake was buying a wrecked XJ, your second was coming here asking for advice.

J/K, this place is chock-full of solid advice and well-thought out opinions, mixed with a healthy dose of plain-old BS. Throw up some particulars and we'll spin you some lies.

Well so in thinking what i really wanted, this would be it. I want a trail rig not to purdy as to be scared to scratch it a bit. I'm gona start taking this truck apart and fix all the little things get it back to a solid rig and than build it up.

Look for me in the tech secion I may have a question or two or twenty.

anybody want to donate some tan interior pieces or a front bumper :cheers:

Sorry for the spelling I suck at spelling
The list so far

1. Rebuild trany go HD anywere i can big cooler
2. clean up motor normal gaskets here and there it runs great
3. swap out for open system "i think thats it" no bottle mines broke as it is
4. abs removal mine doesn't seem to work all new hardware pedal is hard as a rock does stop just no booster help abs light lit pads are shot
5. newpreen bushings balljoints some of mine are shot as it is
6 rip out and replace interior were needed fix hole in floorboard rino line interior exterior
no rust
7 install tires take for test run

8 lockers open carriors suck

I know this list will grow just want to get a base then build it up were needed

naughty_auty said:
The list so far

1. Rebuild trany go HD anywere i can big cooler
2. clean up motor normal gaskets here and there it runs great
4. abs removal mine doesn't seem to work all new hardware pedal is hard as a rock does stop just no booster help abs light lit pads are shot
5. newpreen bushings balljoints some of mine are shot as it is
6 rip out and replace interior were needed fix hole in floorboard rino line interior exterior
no rust
7 install tires take for test run

8 lockers open carriors suck

I know this list will grow just want to get a base then build it up were needed

That sounds like a solid list for starters. Do a search of the tech forums, I'm sure most of that has been covered and you'll find some good info. If not, post up specifics as they arise and we'll cover them as best we can.

naughty_auty said:

These two items are covered in detail in the mod tech section. Searching for these topics should bring up lots of info.

For what you want to do with it, I think the Jeep you have is perfect.

Have fun!

-Jeremy

naughty_auty said:
The list so far

:roflmao: That's an understatement.

Seriously though, your Jeeps fine. Most of the things you mentioned are easily fixable in a weekend.

i have a set of those steps lying around.

they came on my first jeep.

most were bolted but apparently they just tried tapping the uni body so apparently after that didnt work it just got welded on!

and i might be interested in that bumper if you want to get rid of it

yep they are really cheezy

On the front bumper gaurd it has damage from the previous owner hitting some one
but if you have some of these parts it's your's or trade plus i pay cash would be great

1 Good Bumper
2 tan drivers seat
3 drivers tan door panel power options
4 haha auto tranny (aw4)
5 not important stock roof rack

Back