• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thermo temp with flow kooler

BoostedHULK

NAXJA Forum User
i'm gonna order a flow kooler water pump and was wondering what thermostat i should get, they have 160, 180, 195, and 205 degrees. My jeep's temp would creep up a bit, then if it got over 200, it could get a little hard to keep it down. But, that was with a cracked overflow and stuff, so there was air in the system. Personally, i just hate the idea of over-heating, i'm sick of changing head gaskets, my eclipse eats them for breakfast, so i want this bad boy cool. Any problem with the 160 thermo?

Get a 195, your fuel injection will thank you. A Flowcooler water pump won't help, if the rest of the cooling system isn't working correctly. I've had a Flowcooler for a number of years, but it didn't help when my thermostat didn't open up this summer. :)

Fred

i've replaced the radiator and overflow, i want the flow kooler because they're said to be a little more reliable and flow a bit more at lower rpm...i'm sure it's a lot of talk...but i'm hopin' quality will be a little better...thanks for the info though, i really appreciate that. 195 it is.

im running a 180 in mine with the flow cooler and a 3 core radiator, and it works great. if you drive in more hot weather then i would recomend a 180 or lower, and if you drive more in the winter then get the 195. if your new radiator IS NOT a 3 core i would strongly recomend chucking it and getting a new one that is a 3 core one.

Last edited:
another thing you might want to keep in mind is that you dont want to get too low of a thermostat as it will not close when it should not letting the coolent sit in the radiator long enough to cool and you will overheat even worse.

The worst part of 180 tstats is that the ECM goes into cold start mode or open loop mode where the MPG will sufffer a lot. It does not make sense to rebuild the cooling system and then circumvent its operation by preventing it from reaching the design range of operation! Don't second guess anything. Understand what will be impacted by the changes you make. It was designed with a 195 tstat. Use it.

Back