• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swap, junk yard style..................

rick1355

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to swap my 2000 xj's 8.25 rear axle for a dana 44....none of the junk yard cherookees had a dana 44. Found a 78 waggoneer with a 44, does anyone know if this is a good swap ? Not a two part axle and not offset. I want to keep the width (wms) about the same as stock. Found a Dodge Power Wagon (looks like a chevy blazer) with a DANA 60 rear !!!!!!! Any IDEAS welcome............thanks

The SJ (Waggy) 44 will work, but it is Spring under whereas you are spring over, it is also a 6-lug pattern, and generally comes with an undesirable gear ratio (3.24 or so). You'd have to run different wheels in the rear than the front, or grab the front axle too and then get the perches welded for the coils.

I'd keep looking for the XJ44, but I'm also wondering why you don't like your 8.25? Yours is almost as stout as a D44.

Personally I wouldnt bother swapping a 29 spline 8.25 for a dana 44 unless you are wanting to run 4.88s.

Becareful on that d-60 Im fairly certain it will have a low spline count, but if its a 30 spline and you have the lug pattern all worked out, then go for it.

( Waggoneer 44) Well I was thinking that I could cut off those spring perch's and weld on some new perch's and re-drill the axles for the correct bolt pattern . On that dana 60.........When you replace the carrier you can upgrade the shafts and spline count. (I am going to re gear to 4:88) What do you think ???? Pro's N Cons..........

dana 60s arent rare... go look around in the heavy truck department
after building TWO rear xj 44s to varrying degrees... i wish id gone bigger (id probably go ford 9, if i had to do it over again)

Back