• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
After I get the hood vents from Gerr is there anyone in SD that would want to help me install them? Preferably someone who has done it themselves. Im just nervous about cutting into my Jeep for the first time.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

BigMike80 said:
Im just nervous about cutting into my Jeep for the first time.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

I'm a little too far to help.. The first cut is always the hardest one.

If you happened to do it yourself, just take your time and double check everything before you cut.. You can do it. It's not that bad..

E

just cover the area in masking tape... trace around the vents..... cut 1/2" inside your line with a grinder with fine cutting wheel/dremel/air hack saw with about 21 tpi blade.

hey presto.....

Where are you located? I've got a pair of vents I was going to install, maybe we could do it together. Mine aren't painted yet, and I'm booked this weekend, but if you're not in a hurry....
I've got a Dremel and an angle grinder.

What did y'all use to paint your vents? I used black Hammered Finish and I like the way they look, but I can scratch the paint off with my fingernail.

danwho said:
Where are you located? I've got a pair of vents I was going to install, maybe we could do it together. Mine aren't painted yet, and I'm booked this weekend, but if you're not in a hurry....
I've got a Dremel and an angle grinder.

Im in Tierrasanta. When I get the vents I'll pm you. I really have no cutting tools...I might have a jigsaw and I could pick up some fine tooth blades for it.

BigMike
Sounds good. Like I said, mine aren't ready to go, hope you're in no big hurry.
Jigsaw blades cut on the upstroke, I think, so if you buy metal cutting blades, get the kind that cut on the downstroke as this will prevent excess flaking of paint. PM me whenever and I'll give you my cell #.

I've had a set of le baron hood vents forever. They are silver/gray. I may leave them factory color. What vents do you guys have?

I might want to join in on the party :D I'm in N. County San Diego.

I have a couple of angle grinders with cut off wheels. An air body saw that actually doesn't seam to do much of anything for some reason. Kevin H's worked better then mine, same tool. I also have an air die grinder that is also flakey. :D.

Mike-G
We met at the M&G at Venice Pizza, I sat next to you.
My vents are/will be flat black rattle-canned LeBaron's. I'm in PQ and BigMike is in Tierra Santa. We could work at my place (middle). Let's organize it......

danwho said:
Mike-G
We met at the M&G at Venice Pizza, I sat next to you.
My vents are/will be flat black rattle-canned LeBaron's. I'm in PQ and BigMike is in Tierra Santa. We could work at my place (middle). Let's organize it......

Yeah, I remember. Sounds like a plan, my wife will be happy to see the vents out of the garage and on the Jeep. Although I'm having second thoughts. Not sure I even really need em though. I don't have any cooling problems anymore. I did when I got em. Anyone want to buy a set? HAHA

danwho said:
BigMike
Sounds good. Like I said, mine aren't ready to go, hope you're in no big hurry.
Jigsaw blades cut on the upstroke, I think, so if you buy metal cutting blades, get the kind that cut on the downstroke as this will prevent excess flaking of paint. PM me whenever and I'll give you my cell #.

Just tape off the area you are cutting and you will be fine. I taped mine off with the blue painters tape and it turned out good.

I see that there are a lot of Mikes around here. Im Mike G too lol.

I dont have my vents yet but you can pm me with your number and when I get them I'll give you a call. I will still have to prep mine after I get them as well.

mattyj said:
just cover the area in masking tape... trace around the vents..... cut 1/2" inside your line with a grinder with fine cutting wheel/dremel/air hack saw with about 21 tpi blade.

hey presto.....
Just like he explained it. Its easy. Ill give you an picture explanation.

Tape and trace
DSCN0017.jpg

cover engine with tarp to collect metal shavings.
DSCN0018.jpg

DONT USE your ladys bathroom towels to work on your jeep :shhh:
DSCN0020.jpg

now cut
DSCN0022.jpg

DSCN0030.jpg

I made these
DSCN0043.jpg

finished
DSCN0033.jpg

:D

Thanks alot ruggedjeep for the pics. Looks like you used a jigsaw. With your write-up that's at least 4 I have seen. Pretty straight forward to me. I'm a newb to the forum (not to jeeps) and I am amazed how nice and helpful you all are. Great bunch of people.
Yea BigMike, there are alot of Mikes with XJs. I met 3 or 4 the other night at the M&G.
I'll PM you with my cell number.

danwho said:
Thanks alot ruggedjeep for the pics. Looks like you used a jigsaw. With your write-up that's at least 4 I have seen. Pretty straight forward to me. I'm a newb to the forum (not to jeeps) and I am amazed how nice and helpful you all are. Great bunch of people.
Yea BigMike, there are alot of Mikes with XJs. I met 3 or 4 the other night at the M&G.
I'll PM you with my cell number.
I used the wheel first to get it going but the jig just cut cleaner straight lines.
DSCN0021.jpg

Back