• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

emissions question

amcinstaller

NAXJA Forum User
my exhaust is startin to sound pretty leaky and ive got it nailed down to my catalytic converter. the exhaust comes mostly out of the bottom of it and not so much out of the tail pipe. will my 92 run without a cat? any CE lights or anything. i dont need to worry about emissions around here.

Nah, it should run perfectly fine without the cat. My '89 ran perfect with open header(s). However, you may have an O2 sensor on the exit side of the cat that will set off a CE if you straight pipe it. Not sure what years those were installed on.

It should run fine without it - but let's not give the Greenies any more reason to hate us than they already do. Replace the thing - but using a "universal fit" cat with the proper inlet and outlet size should work neatly - size it for a single cat on a V8 application, and you'll get a bit more flow capacity with no negative results.

You shouldn't see any codes without the thing - the "downstream" HEGO sensor was added when OBD-II rolled out for the 1996 model year.

However, even if you run otherwise open exhaust on the trail (not recommended - a muffler is a great spark arrestor!) run a cat - as I said, let's not give the Greenies more reason to hate us than they already have...

Back