• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ towin Wrangler

paskalee

NAXJA Forum User
Do you think that an XJ can flat tow my 97 TJ? I would be towing it for about 1000 miles twice a year. I would like to have a manual transmission on the XJ but I have read it has less towing capacity.

towing capacity has nothing to do with transmissions. the problem with manual transmissions for towing is that people are bad drivers and can't handle shifting with a load on the back of the vehicle.

that said, I prefer towing with manuals so that I can control the downshifting on grades

IF you prefer a manual, get a cherokee 1990 or newer, and with a 4.0. you want the ax15 manual transmission for towing or anything load-bearing (or general abuse), and it became uniformly available in 1990 (89 was transition year).

the manual and auto can carry the same loads though.

I towed my YJ ( Lifted 33's...) back from CO a few years back with a lifted 1998 XJ with stock gears, 31's and an automatic.

It worked, but it's not something I would do on a regular basis. The reasons I chose not to were: stoping distance, the fact that the YJ was just about as long as the XJ, it got really bad gasmilage (9-10mpg), and I could see it getting hot on certain stretches of the I system (Perhaps because I was trying to do 75 though NE :D).

I towed once with a F150 manual and over a 2 year period, you could tell the tranny was getting sloppy. It worked though and it never left me stranded.

I guess it's your preference, but I would tow with an auto over a manual just for reserved towing capacity.

Ron

Can it, yes. Do you really want to ?, probably not. I have flat towed my CJ-7 a few times and it can be scary if you don't pay 110% attention. Braking distances are very long and the Cherokee rear tires want to break loose on any wet or dirty pavement and gravel. If you don't catch it right away, you will jack-knife the whole mess.

A tow dolly with trailer brakes or a larger tow rig would make you trip much safer.

Last edited:
Well using a tow dolly will put me over the weight limit of the XJ. I really need a 2nd car with 4 doors though so maybe I will just get a ZJ instead. Although I don't like automatics; I like to have the control of a manual transmission. can anyone recommend a 4 door tow vehicle with a manual?

there was one year of the ZJ that had the 4.o and a man trans, 95 maybe?
it's gonna be a rare bird.

93 only for zj manual, and not many at that.

if you need a tow vehicle, why not buy something that's meant for towing. you're not gonna get crap for gas mileage with an xj or zj anyways.

Gas mileage is not that important to me. And I was wondering if you could recommend other vehicles besides Jeeps that have 4 doors and a manual transmission. I can't afford to spend more than $6000 and I don't want anything bigger than a 1/2 ton truck. I will only occasionally be towing my TJ and a 73 Porsche 914.

If you do tow the Wrangler with the XJ for 1000 miles and make it, please take photos and post them. Actually, post the photos of them both laying on their sides as well.:doh:

look for a gm pickup with 4 doors they seem to get the best mileage(i know you said it didnt matter) and should be heavy enough and sturdy enough to meet your needs

you don't have a vehicle in mind that is actually going to be worth your money, for the use your looking at.

let me put it this way; a1/2 ton truck (4 door suburban-ish vehicle, whatever) is about the only thing you're going to be able to use comfortably, and will get you about the same mileage as a cherokee if not better. also, it will most likely hold it's value, and your safety while towing is much less of a risk

The stick with 3.07 gears is at it's limits at 2000 LB (IMO) on stock tires. If you want you clutch to live longer then 30k with lots of towing. I tried 2800 LB and eat a clutch before 30k (lots of towing and hills).
With 3.73 and stock tires it was a new ball game. Could use 5th gear when towing as before with the 3.07 5th was all but useless when towing. Could use 5th sooner and more often around town so my overall MPG didn't drop much.
Drive slower
stop sooner
Use your head to keep you out of trouble not your brakes to get you out and all will be fine.

I use a 2007 Ford F150 Supercrew 4 door to tow my 99 TJ on a trailer.

I thought about buying a smaller vehicle and flat tow. What happens when (not if) you mess up an axle off-roading. Flat towing is out of the question until it is fixed. Especially a 1,000 mile trip.

TJ Rat said:
I use a 2007 Ford F150 Supercrew 4 door to tow my 99 TJ on a trailer.

I thought about buying a smaller vehicle and flat tow. What happens when (not if) you mess up an axle off-roading. Flat towing is out of the question until it is fixed. Especially a 1,000 mile trip.

Another good point. The trail damage factor.

Well I am not really worried about trail damage because I am moving from New Mexico to Kansas, and I wanted a 2nd vehicle to keep some miles off my TJ, and towing a small car behind my TJ is out of the question because it's just too short.

badron said:
The stick with 3.07 gears is at it's limits at 2000 LB (IMO) on stock tires. If you want you clutch to live longer then 30k with lots of towing. I tried 2800 LB and eat a clutch before 30k (lots of towing and hills).
With 3.73 and stock tires it was a new ball game. Could use 5th gear when towing as before with the 3.07 5th was all but useless when towing. Could use 5th sooner and more often around town so my overall MPG didn't drop much.
Drive slower
stop sooner
Use your head to keep you out of trouble not your brakes to get you out and all will be fine.

I was gonna say the same thing
the biggest drawback to towing with a stock 5 spd XJ is the 3.07 gears they are worthless even when unloaded add in any kind of weight (whether inside the XJ or behind it) and they are fockin rediculously undergeared. and dont even think of adding bigger tires. 31's 307's and mountains are a combo I have come to HATE on my XJ. thats why I dropped back down to 30's (technically 29's)
BUT
if you swap in a better gear like the 373's as mentioned I dont see why you cant do it just remember proper towing etiquete (sp?) start slow keep your distance and plan your stops.

another option is to buy a 2wd XJ they are more common than you think and they will do slightly better when towing and will also be 1/2 the price to regear them to tow even better

mid 90's F-series and broncos are everywhere, you can usually find 'em in good shape for relatively cheap, just stay away from the 302 as its underpowered for a full size truck application IMO

best way to tow with an auto would be to put it in 3rd? (correct me if im wrong) thats what chev recommends for their half ton's with the 4L60

I pulled my cj2a from fort meyers Fl to atl Ga on a tow dolly a few years back using my xj when it had a 3" and 31's. I was apprehensive at the time but still cruised at 65-70 MPH.:doh: I never did have any problems with it. Even though there is a large weight difference between a tj and willys I may also have been a little lucky.

Back