• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO and emissions

moximouse

NAXJA Forum User
I failed emissions because of too much CO. I understand a new catalytic converter may be in order, but are there other options or possible causes that I might try?

its an '89 laredo.

Thanks

I had this problem with a 95 Neon. The station told me to drive it up the highway a couple miles as fast as I could in 4th gear then bring it back and they would throw it on the tester. I did this and it went from 350 ppm to 13 ppm passing being somewhere around 100 ppm. Might work for you.

New thermostat, can of GOOD injection cleaner (BG's 44K) and an oil change will probably help a lot. I have no cat on mine and it passes the sniff test just fine!

High CO is often caused by a rich fuel mixture. Do they test your vehicle JUST at idle or is there an acceleration test too? Some things that can contribute to high CO level include a failing oxygen sensor, excessive fuel pressure (check pressure at rail/compare to spec), and leaky fuel injectors. Some things to think about....

Back