• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank

oldmanxjer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a small pin hole in the bottom of the gas tank 94 Cherroke. Right now I have a small screw stopping much of the leak. After I get it drained and dry does anybody have any suggestions on a epoxy cement other than JB weld? Do they make a epoxy for this application " for gas "
after I drain and dry it I want to try and plug it with something rather than pulling the tank out which is no fun.

Thanks guys..

I used Seal All when I had a hole in my tank. I'd say use that or any type of epoxy, put it on the screw and screw it back in then cover the outside of the screw and surrounding area with some more epoxy of seal all let it set up, then another coat, then set it up and then check for leaks. That Seal All is gas and oil resistant, so get something along those lines.

never weld a gas tank empty. if you fill it with water, the water will expand (even if it's vented). also, it will be leaking out where the hole is and it will be difficult to get an arc. as crazy as it sounds, you should fill a gas tank with gas before welding it. gas doesn't expand, and liquid fuel is not flamable.

i'd say stick to epoxy. and i agree with mini beast. use lots of it. can't hurt.

codyj86 said:
never weld a gas tank empty. if you fill it with water, the water will expand (even if it's vented). also, it will be leaking out where the hole is and it will be difficult to get an arc. as crazy as it sounds, you should fill a gas tank with gas before welding it. gas doesn't expand, and liquid fuel is not flamable.

i'd say stick to epoxy. and i agree with mini beast. use lots of it. can't hurt.
RU nuts? Fill a gas tank with gas before welding it?! :flame: Have you actually done that?! If so, please forward your contact info so I can send it over to the good folks over at the Darwin Awards.

You're *theoretically* correct that liquid gas won't ignite, but all you have to do is crack open the lawn mower to know that where there's liquid gas, there's fumes...and they go up like a roman candle. Plus that stream of gas leaking out of the hole you're welding is going to puddle on the work area and create fumes.

Welding shops that don't blow up, recommend SAND be used to fill the tank when welding it. Mineral oil does a good job rinsing out the sand. Personally, for the $120 a new tank costs, it isn't worth risking blowing up my garage or spending all day Saturday rinsing sand out of a tank, so unless it was for something really rare and a gas tank cost a lot of scratch, I'd just buy a new one and be done with it.

Last edited:
Auto part stores have a gas tank sealer epoxy that works vary well. If you haven't poked a hole in it physically, more that likely it's a rust hole from water in the tank. (gas floats on water and your gas pick up doesn't quite reach the bottom of the tank) If a second hole appears later, I'd replace the tank.

x2 on just replacing the tank. I have seen tanks (on farm machinery) welded up before and as crazy as it sounds, they were full. Now when the welder showed up to weld and did it with a full tank, I got the hell out of the area. I DO NOT suggest doing that!!! It is simple to drop the tank and just replace it. The sealers might work, but how long will it be before the next rust holes emerges??

CRJeepin said:
RU nuts? Fill a gas tank with gas before welding it?! :flame: Have you actually done that?! If so, please forward your contact info so I can send it over to the good folks over at the Darwin Awards.

You're *theoretically* correct that liquid gas won't ignite, but all you have to do is crack open the lawn mower to know that where there's liquid gas, there's fumes...and they go up like a roman candle. Plus that stream of gas leaking out of the hole you're welding is going to puddle on the work area and create fumes.

Welding shops that don't blow up, recommend SAND be used to fill the tank when welding it. Mineral oil does a good job rinsing out the sand. Personally, for the $120 a new tank costs, it isn't worth risking blowing up my garage or spending all day Saturday rinsing sand out of a tank, so unless it was for something really rare and a gas tank cost a lot of scratch, I'd just buy a new one and be done with it.

as a matter of fact, yes. i have done that. i learned it from my dad who taught me that. we don't do it in the garage, just in case. and i wouldn't recommend it unless it is a rare or super expensive tank, but this was on a 72 vw bug my dad and i were rebuilding so it was a viable option.

Thanks everybody . I will check the local auto parts shops after I get it empty and dry. I know about JB weld but was wondering if anybody had used anything else..Thanks..

There is a gas tank patch kit available at most auto parts stores as well. I would recommend replacing the tank. I just got finished replacing mine because of damage, but the tank was seeping from several other rust spots all over the tank.

codyj86 said:
as a matter of fact, yes. i have done that. i learned it from my dad who taught me that. we don't do it in the garage, just in case. and i wouldn't recommend it unless it is a rare or super expensive tank, but this was on a 72 vw bug my dad and i were rebuilding so it was a viable option.

Wow, hats off to you then...you got more b*lls than I!

Would be really careful bout recommending that one on the interweb though, hate to see somebody blow themselves up to save $120 on a Jeep gas tank...

I tried patching my tank (diesel) with epoxy. While it fixed the holes, for every hole I repaired, I found two more.

If it's pinholed from rust, junk it and replace, it just isn't worth the hassle.

Changing the tank isn't difficult, hardest bit was wrestling the new tank into place and getting the straps hooked up.

CRJeepin said:
Wow, hats off to you then...you got more b*lls than I!

Would be really careful bout recommending that one on the interweb though, hate to see somebody blow themselves up to save $120 on a Jeep gas tank...

that's why i explained what i did the job on. i wouldn't bother do it on my jeep. that and it's a total pain in the ass.
i've acutally already replaced mine as it was rusted. go to go jeep and do the fuel fill mod he has on there, i put a long hose into mine though. i can fill my tank (from empty) about 24 gallons, if memory serves.

Back