• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ...4.5" lift, 285-75-16 on stock ZJ wheels?

Caribou Lou

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 XJ, and I have a set of 285-75-16 Toyo M/T's that I'd like to run on a set of 5.9 ZJ wheels (silver 5 star looking stock ones, not the ulgy gold ZJ wheels).

My question is, am I going to have to run wheel spacers? I know the factory wheels have ~5" of backspacing?

Wheel spacers and trim like hell !

aren't the ZJ lugs a different pattern? or is that only on the later ones?

tayman said:
aren't the ZJ lugs a different pattern? or is that only on the later ones?

WJ's are 5on5, ZJ's are just like XJ's, YJ's and TJ's.

So I will need spacers you think? I really don't think I'll need to trim THAT much, since the rig will never see offroad really...

oh, ok... it's the other Grand.

I'm not running those particular wheels, but I do have the Soft 8's in 16x8 with 5" of backspacing and 285/75's with the RE6130 kit and they tuck great. The only thing I had to do was adjust the stops so they wouldn't rub on my lca's but they were just barely doing that.

I'd say go for it, seeing how the backspacing is probably in the 5-5.25" range, but you also might want to consider spacers in case you want to bump up to a 305 or 315 aspect ratio later on.

Unearthed said:
I'm not running those particular wheels, but I do have the Soft 8's in 16x8 with 5" of backspacing and 285/75's with the RE6130 kit and they tuck great. The only thing I had to do was adjust the stops so they wouldn't rub on my lca's but they were just barely doing that.

I'd say go for it, seeing how the backspacing is probably in the 5-5.25" range, but you also might want to consider spacers in case you want to bump up to a 305 or 315 aspect ratio later on.

Thanks! Do you have any pictures of your setup?

This was mine at 4.5" w/ stock wheels and 265/75/16's.It would just barely rub the flares.
bump12.jpg

White1998XJ said:
Thoes are the same wheels...Got anymore pics of it? I love thoes wheels...alot.
Not on the net,that was about 6yrs ago,6" w/ LA's and 33x10.5's now!
mvc-006f.jpg

White1998XJ said:
Thanks! Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Sure. Here it is, green Cherokee #3,456,764.

208tnno.jpg

and this is to see how deep the tire will be in the wheel well. If you need any more pictures let me know.

2rndc10.jpg

sorry the last one is crooked...class time!

Back