• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case and diff questions

1lowscort

NAXJA Forum User
hello, I just picked up an 89 cherokee for parts and was wondering what setup would be better to run, and if there is any mix and match-abilty with them. my current jeep has the np242 and a non-disconnect front axle. the parts jeep has the np231 and the disconnect axle. which one should I use? I mainly use this for just a good time off road beat the hell out of it vehicle, but if I have better parts available I would like to use them.

-Austin

I swapped a 242 out of a 93 to a 2000 and a 231 out of the 2000 to my 93 stright across swap might have to adjust shift linkage but if the tranny is the same it will bolt right on

well, there ya go.. just saying that that was pretty stealish of him.

Last edited:
what year is your current jeep?

kansas93XJ said:
the 231 is a better transfercase in my opinion and the non vacuum axle is the better choice

so is this the general consensus? any problems using the 231 with the non vacuum axle? everything bolts up properly and such?

Back