• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket rack failure

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i put alot of money into a nice yakima roof rack system w/ the mega warrior basket.

i only carry a 32" spare mud terrain up there and have it supported pretty well..

i started w/ the rain gutter mounts, but a month ago the mounts ripped my rain gutters off, at least the part that was glued on, i still have an edge but no lip to grab.

i later went to the other mounts, the Q towers... they suck too.. don't hold

what the hell do i do now?

anyone carry this basket and bars have any problems?

help

bolt the bars to your roof..... Probably not the most ideal option, but it works, and it's solid.

not what I meant.....

when you bolt bars to the roof using U-bolts through the edges of the roof, the bar is mounted pretty damn solidly. Good luck moving it. A friend of mine did this on his suburban (also sheetmetal) and it works really well.

too many trees?

is there a way to replace the rain gutters? i still have the thing that the rain gutters mounted to, but no gutters.

hard to explain,, but there seems to be a trim piece on the gutters if you know what i mean, is there a replacement for those

pics?

I know what you mean, i ripped the front passenger side off a bit last month and just hamered it back into place, chrysler sure went all out in that design.

I know what you mean too... mine is starting to come off... how about using some gorilla glue?

umm well i no longer have those inserts, due to the fact that they came off on the trail and were all banged up.. so i left them in the middle of nowhere.

where could i get some new ones?

I have absolutely no idea... you moght try the dealer, or go rip them off a jeep at a junkyard...

This happened to my friend on the interstate with our Kayaks on, you'd be suprised at how little a kayak is damaged when it goes through a suburban's wind shield! But I have the load warrior with the rain gutter mounts, it used to be on a TJ with a congo cage which I could stand on! (160lbs) Now that it's only on my rain gutters I am very leary of much more than my spare (31). Yakima makes something very similar to the factory runners that go through the roof with reinforcements on the sheet metal, this still doesn't help with your downward loading being concentrated on about a square foot of un supported sheet metal... I think that the rain gutters are the most stable thats whats on mine, If your worried about it you can run another set of bars and towers to better distrbute the load, assuming you can get your gutters fixed. If you had an exo cage to tie it into that would be the best bet and would support nearly anything you threw up there I'm sure.

Back