• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

busted head off yoke, pinion...help

norcalsnow

NAXJA Forum User
i was tightening the four bolts that hold the rear d line to the yoke on the rear axle (8.25). one of the heads busted off and now i dont really know what my best option is..???? should i drill it and tap it or just take it to a machine shop???? hopefully not hafto replace it...any suggestions

I'm not sure a bolt extractor is going to help when he broke the bolt.

Try an EZ out first. I have had good success drill them out. use a small bit right down the center. about half the time the remaining thread will spin right out the end of the yoke.

Its not a hard replacement even if you do have to replace the yoke. Its a 30$ part from quadratec and its fairly simple to replace. But with that problem, you have plenty of options, try drilling it out with a smaller bit as mentioned, EZ out. Otherwise try whatever you want, but if you are thinking of bringing it to a machine shop at all, make sure they dont charge more than 30 for whatever they will be doing, since you can get a new one for that price. Well, say 40$ to include shipping and incase you need to buy a large socket for the bolt you need to remove.

just change the yoke...... i keep a spare with me anyway and can change it anywhere should the driveshaft go and take the yoke with it

Yeah, same here, since my friend tore apart my yoke I messed somethign in my rear end up pretty bad, so I had to get one from the junkyard and, well, that came with a yoke, who-da-thunk-it. So now I just have spare parts should I need them. Once you get the new yoke on, you could take your time in either removing the bolt or drilling it out and tapping it, since your Jeep would be running and there would be no huge rush.

so i drilled a really centered hole through the bolt and then using about 4 bits that went up in size i was able to bore out the hole untill it finally spun out what was left of the bolt. all of the threads were intact. Thanks for the help and good ideas.. may save me on the trail sometime.

Back