• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ox question

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
I had an ox and gears set up in a xj 44. ran the cable to the front and no matter what i do i cant get it to even engage. maybe i am missing a step. the directions call for leaving a five eighths inch gap b/t the collar of the cable and the piece you thread on. i have expermented for several hours and no luck. If anyone has any helpfull sugestions or shared experience i would really appreciate it.......
unless all you have to say is arb is the way to go!!!1

I had the same Problem adjusting the cable. It is a pain in the butt took a good couple hours. If the locker is not engaging then the throw of the cable is not long enough. Open up the shifter and adjust the throw all the way so it is the longest throw possible. I have mine where I cant just throw it in the lock position I have to drive a foot or so then it will lock in. That is the handle part. If the throw is still not enough then your gonna have to take the dif cover off and adjust it there.

It also helped to jack the back end up and put on jack stands. So that when you think the adjustment is right you can start her up and put in drive and lock it in and see for your self if it is working. After you get it about right in the air tighten the cable just a hair more. I found that once I put it on the ground the weight of the vehicle made a little dif in the operation of the Locker/cable. Sorry about the bad spelling LOL

I just had an issue with my front Ox not engaging at times yesterday. Tighten it at the controller so that it doesn't even really feel loose when disengaged, then put it on stands and test it locked and unlocked. Mine was fine for the first several wheeling trips, then disengaged once yesterday when I needed it most.

Im running ox's front and rear 30/44. After the first adjustment witch was a little bit of a pain more time wise. I have had no problems been running them in my DD for about 2 years. About 30-40 miles a day. A very little oil residue from where the cable goes into the dif cover but no big deal.

Thanks for the info guys. I agree having the rear jacked up is the way to go.
Narfxj, Thanks for the info. Ill give that a try, if it still doesnt work looks like ill be taking off the diff cover. Since i had the ox installed for me, im not sure how to take it off. would i take the cable off first or the cover and cable together? thanks again for the advice.

You just take the dif cover off like a normal dif cover. The only difference is that on the inside of the OX dif cover is a fork that slides from side to side. The fork slides over the OX locker that fits in a grove/rail.

I had the same prob with mine when you install the collar on the shifter do not thread it it all the way into the mounting block.... That seems to be the adjustment ? after messing around for a while we had a "Duh" moment and figured it out

Yes you should be able to adjust the throw of the cable. Without taking the dif cover off. Thread the cable all the way in the shifter and slowly work your way back.

Back