• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 wheel parts Dana 44

This has been covered on here quite a bit....

you'd be better off getting the JK D44s and re-doing the mounts. they come with E-lockers.

A guy in my local jeep club got one of those and had it installed at the local 4wp. before he even had 100 miles the pinion nut came loose and the local 4wp's said he had to go thru the mainland 4wp's for warranty, in the meantime he had to fork out a ton of money on all the replacement parts only to get the "sorry, you didnt catch it in time and caused extra damage, we dont cover labor and we need to approve the company doing the install" even though he had it done at the local 4wps. The local store felt sorry for him and used some of the funds raised in recent local events they hold to pay for his stuff!! His warranty with mainland 4wps is no longer valid because he didnt keep his daily driven rig down for several weeks for them to approve their own store!!

I will allways avoid them just for that and similar stories I have heard. the Local store gets some of my business because I know and wheel with the guys there and get a decent deal, otherwise I wont even bother.

The price is also way to outrageous for what you get. If you did some ground work you could score a ford D44, have it cut down and had the parts installed and mounts welded for damn near the same price. I have some connections in the machine shops so I dont know what most shops usually charge for that work.
Jeremy
Jeremy

That sounds like my experiance with the branch here, only it was my D44 I got from a 1989 XJ that was being built.

Their tech used a crush sleeve on the pinion instead of shims. This meant that the nut could not be tightned more than a few ft lbs or the pinion would lock up. I took it back to them and explained to them that it was not correct and needed shims instead. I even showed them the torque value from Dana (thank you 5-90) and had tighten it in my presence. At 75 ft lbs, the pinion shaft would not turn. The tech simply left the nut loose enough for the pinoin shaft to turn.

I get the shivers when I think of myself at 2:00 am counting the miles I drive by counting the emergency road side phone and my new rebuilt D44 go :explosion

:doh:

Last edited:
I like how the pic shows a passenger side drop!But anyways its a LP.

$2500 for a tube and re-use d30 outters. $300 more and get a set of jk axls front and rear, complete to the rotar. tnt ubolt elem and relocate front brackets. JK are 5" wider so either get one and adapt rear wheels, or go both. And front is hp. check your local jeep dealer parts depart for ordering.

DAAAMN! That's a lot of money. Go down to your local stealership and talk to the guys in parts/service. I went to get some oil filter adapter o-rings and ended up BSing with the "XJ Guy" there.
$2200 (plus tax) will get you 2 NEW TJ Rubicon D44's complete down to discs and e-lockers. Will need some fab work for shock mounts, wiring (for lockers, easy), etc., but what axle swap doesn't? XJ Guy said they are a few inches wider than stock (fender trim?) Cherokee axles, but if you're swapping front and rear whatever. Would look sick with that stance.

kujito said:
DAAAMN! That's a lot of money. Go down to your local stealership and talk to the guys in parts/service. I went to get some oil filter adapter o-rings and ended up BSing with the "XJ Guy" there.
$2200 (plus tax) will get you 2 NEW TJ Rubicon D44's complete down to discs and e-lockers. Will need some fab work for shock mounts, wiring (for lockers, easy), etc., but what axle swap doesn't? XJ Guy said they are a few inches wider than stock (fender trim?) Cherokee axles, but if you're swapping front and rear whatever. Would look sick with that stance.

those arent TJ axles.. they are for the newer JKs. as long as you do both axles you wont mind the change to a 5x5 lug pattern...

The JK axles have a problem cracking tubes, on the short side I believe.

Cal posted a picture a week back or so. It was in mod tech under a thread about lp 44 vs hp 30 strength I believe.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
The JK axles have a problem cracking tubes, on the short side I believe.

Cal posted a picture a week back or so. It was in mod tech under a thread about lp 44 vs hp 30 strength I believe.

-Alex

I've seen quite a bit of stuff about that too. Believe it's usually on the passenger (long) side though...

thats the side i seen, pass. it was snapped completely, the shaft was holding it together. truss the d30 and upgrade shafts. or get a waggy 44 and build it up.

sidriptide said:
those arent TJ axles.. they are for the newer JKs. as long as you do both axles you wont mind the change to a 5x5 lug pattern...

My bad

Ba-Riedo said:
The JK axles have a problem cracking tubes,
Didn't know that, Holy Crap! Do they at least warranty them?

kujito said:
Do they at least warranty them?

Apparently not.

WTF is going on with vehicle manufacturers nowadays?

Between this and the FJ Cruiser front end wrinkles I have no faith in new design 4x4s.

Ok so what about getting the Mopar JK Dana 44 and cutting the mounts off and putting a TNT truss and new mounts on it? Is it a whole lot weaker than the ford dana 44? I am trying to get a dana 44 under the front and keep some of my money at the same time. I already have an XJ 44 for the rear that I am going to regear, lock and put the TNt truss on.

Kris

Back