• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel locking up in 4x4!

93 Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
It is a 93 Cherokee. The right rear wheel locks up and releases constantly only in 4x4. I have tried getting answers on another forum but noone seemed to have a clue. On pavement you can hear it churping the tire it locks up so hard. It isn't just once in a while, it is constant and consistent. I just need to get some ideas on what I need to be looking at and replacing. Figure I will be pulling the axle and checking out the differential a?

hmmm, open diff? Only happens in 4wd... might look a little further up the driveline. If it's an open diff, the tire that gets torque is the right one so it would be the one to lock up if the driveshaft suddenly stopped.... just an idea, might be way off

Yes it's the right rear that is locking up. Not a problem at all in 2 wheel. It is a pretty much stock Jeep. It has 265,000 or so miles on it. I have only owned it for about 2500 miles. Runs like a top. Just put new shoes, wheel cylinder and brake line on (proble was before any of this). What are you thinking it is? Further up the line? The front seems to have no problems in 4x4.

honestly I have no idea. Front and rear tires the same size? Different diameter tires would cause that to happen since the front and rear have to turn the same speed in 4wd. Obviously that's not something that would just suddenly start happening though (unless you just put tires on it) Do you have 4 jack stands? Get all 4 wheels off the ground so you can look under it while it's in gear and see if there is any binding and be able to pinpoint the noise.

hmmmmmmmmm, actually it has 30.9.50's on the rear (all terrain w/ meaty tires) and like 235 something normal radial tires on the front. It was like that when I got it and never changed them out yet. When I bought it (off my brother) I tried the 4 wheel drive out (he had never) on a gravel driveway and that is when I noticed the locking up of the wheel. Told him about it so I could get a better deal figuring I could fix it later.
Actually when I was doing the brake job, I did lift it off the ground and put it on stands and put it in drive and 4x4 and did not notice the locking up. DO YOU THINK THAT COULD CAUSE IT? THEN ON THE GROUND IT BINDS UP CUZ OF DIFFERENT SIZE TIRES? You might be a genius LOL.

Yup, it's the tires. 2wd the front axle is released, so the difference in wheel speed has no effect, but in 4wd, the front and rear are locked via the t-case. If the front and back tires aren't spinning the same speed (smaller tire spins faster than a larger tire at the same mph), something has to give. Thankfully your tire is breaking lose instead of the transfer case exploding. Put some matching size tires on that thing and go wheeling!

Back