• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

warn manual hub kit q's

1998xj1985

NAXJA Forum User
Hey to all who are running the warn manual hub kit, i've got a pretty bad vibe coming from the drivetrain of the jeep, i pulled the front shaft and the rear shaft is cool, so i'm thinking it's in the front axle. plus i've been looking at the warn kit for a while now. my question to you guys running it is about the rotors you use. did you use the stock rotors, or did you have to buy new ones? i just did my brakes and would be pretty bummed if i had to buy new rotors for this kit.

are there any other suprises you guys ran into on the install that were expensive?

Thanks for the help!

I used new rotors from Autozone that ran me about $20.

You need cast rotors and you need to have the center hole bored out some. You could use your current rotors if they are cast, but why not just buy new? That way you can get them ready beforehand to minimize down-time during the install.

There's an excellent write-up on http://www.stu-offroad.com/ on the kit if you haven't already seen it.

well, i was trying to avoid having to buy new rotors because i just did brakes, and i've always been told that you replace rotors and pads in sets because they wear into each other. not sure which rotors i have though, i'll have to check sometime i spose. thanks for the input though.

The instructions in the kit references the rotor they recommend. I believe mine are some 1/2 ton chevy rotors. As mentioned you need to bore out the center of your stock ones so your better off buying new and selling your old.

Brian T.

1998xj1985 said:
well, i was trying to avoid having to buy new rotors because i just did brakes, and i've always been told that you replace rotors and pads in sets because they wear into each other. not sure which rotors i have though, i'll have to check sometime i spose. thanks for the input though.
In my case I kept the same pads I had since they were in good shape. Had no problems doing so. YMMV.

I used the heavy duty Warn kit because it uses the big hub,spindle and bearings. It also converts to 5 on 5.5 " bolt pattern because it's bigger. I had to take a CJ roter to a machine shop and have it cut in diameter and also had the hat turned down. Warn explains this. The smaller lockout hub kit I don't know about but it uses the smaller components and it may fit your rotor. Some say it's a waste of money but it does come with cromo outer axels and u- joints. The nice thing is that you can un-lock a hub to make manuvering in a weird spot posible. I don't think I'd drop that much cash on the 5 on 4.5" kit. But the big kit is stought and you just need inner cromo axels and cromo rear axels with the 5 on 5.5" pattern to make a nice bolt on upgrade. Hopfully you need rims also but CJ bolt pattern rims are a dime a dozen. I did the front hub kit with cromo axels and super 88 kit the rear and ring and pinions for about 2 grand. Call, shop and haggle for a nice package deal on the heavy kit and sell your rotors.

Back