• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Perilli Scorpion ATRs or Goodyear MT/Rs

garr

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a set of Moabs for a good price & now I need to put some rubber on them, My off roading is 90% driving on the soft sand beaches here on Long Island NY ( Surf fishing is my thing), With some playing in the snow (when I get a chance to head to the Upstate House).
I have an 01 with 2.5" lift, ARB diffs & HD compressor, HD SYE with a front driveshaft in the rear, Nates bumpers, 30X9.5X15 Perilli ATRs. & am very happy with them.
I like the agressive look of the MT/Rs but I am concerned that they may ride too hard & hurt fuel economy.
How do the MT/Rs drive?
Should I just pick up a set of Perillis in 245X75X16 or go for the MT/Rs?
Thanks in advance to everyone!

Nothings better on the LI sand than the BFG AT IMHO.

Even when I was open/open, I could go right on the beach at MTK with street pressure and no problems. With the MTR you'll be digging in the sand more than you'd like.

a friend of mine has a set of perillies ats on his full sized ford in 33x12.5x15s and he got over 50 k out of them. I was impressed with how well they where on the road and anything that was not wet. They did suck in the rocks but if you are looking for sand, i thought they would fit the bill.

IMHO Goodyear sucks all the way around, i had a set of 31" mtrs and i hated them, a friend has some 35" mtrs and he has not gotten 15k out of them and they chunked out and are now balled and he is open front and rear. after replacing the factory goodyears on my wifes car that where balled at 30k miles, i said fawk goodyear and never looked at them again.

NighthawkXJ said:
a friend of mine has a set of perillies ats on his full sized ford in 33x12.5x15s and he got over 50 k out of them. I was impressed with how well they where on the road and anything that was not wet. They did suck in the rocks but if you are looking for sand, i thought they would fit the bill.

IMHO Goodyear sucks all the way around, i had a set of 31" mtrs and i hated them, a friend has some 35" mtrs and he has not gotten 15k out of them and they chunked out and are now balled and he is open front and rear. after replacing the factory goodyears on my wifes car that where balled at 30k miles, i said fawk goodyear and never looked at them again.

I always had problems with GoodYear tires, Wranglers were the OEM tires on my 1994 & 2001 Grand Cherokees, They wore out fast, Uneven & picked up alot of nails from the road. I thought they may have improved since then but I guess not.
How are the BFG ATs in wet/Snow/Icey weather? & how do they ride? I had a set on a 1989 Bronco I owned 10-12 years ago & they seemed noisey & were not that good (Pretty bad actually) on slick pavement, Did they improve since then ? The BFG ATs I had were the reason I went with the Perilli Scorpion ATRs on my XJ.

I had MT/R's on my 2000 and found them to be loud on the pavement and they got louder as they aged. They must be rotated every 4,000 miles to keep them from wearing oddly. The are only OK in snowy/icy weather.

I have had BFG A/T's only several 4x4's and now have them on my XJ. They are reasonably quiet and comfortable on the road, 4wheel well on trails, and make great snow tires here in Minnesota.

Pirelli's are somewhat popular around here on fullsize SUV's so they should be a good alternate choice.

I got a set of the Pirelli's, good in snow/mud, excellent on water soaked roads, high speed. Smooth riding tire. 20k miles and still good.

I have had both Pirelli and Avon ATs for road use. Both were great for snow/ice/rain. Got 80k out of each. But, for sand and a little off road, I have to concur with the above statements, You can't beat the BFG ATs. I also had the BFG MTs. They only lasted about 35k. I drove mstly on pavement and it ate them up. Noisy and not very good in the sand. The ATs have more rubber contacting the sand/road. MTs are made for mud. I will not buy them again. I'm not a mudder.

Last edited:
garr said:
I picked up a set of Moabs for a good price & now I need to put some rubber on them, My off roading is 90% driving on the soft sand beaches here on Long Island NY ( Surf fishing is my thing), With some playing in the snow (when I get a chance to head to the Upstate House).
I have an 01 with 2.5" lift, ARB diffs & HD compressor, HD SYE with a front driveshaft in the rear, Nates bumpers, 30X9.5X15 Perilli ATRs. & am very happy with them.
I like the agressive look of the MT/Rs but I am concerned that they may ride too hard & hurt fuel economy.
How do the MT/Rs drive?
Should I just pick up a set of Perillis in 245X75X16 or go for the MT/Rs?
Thanks in advance to everyone!

I've ran BFG MT's, Radial Swampers, 33x12.50 mtr's, and now 35x12.50 mtr's on my XJ's.By far the MTR's have been the quietest, best handling on the road for me.

I've run two sets of the BFG Ats and they are really a good tire. They are not the best tire for mud, but they hold their own on the trails and are great IMO on the road. I really like the design of the MTRs, but I think they are better suited to rocks. I don't know anything about snow, we just see it on t.v. down hear.

if you are comparing tires... compare apples to apples

do you want an all terrain tire (Perilli Scorpion ATRs), bfg A/T, etc....

or a mud terrain tire (Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs), bfg M/T, etc....

they are not they same nor will they ride or perform the same in diverse places.

once you've decided what kind of terrain you drive in... then compare tires that fit the bill for that terrain.

when i bought my jeep, i had very street friendly all season tires on it.
i purchased MT/R's have been extremely pleased.
i've had them for 4yrs w/about 32k on them. i still have 2 from orig purchase. replaced 2 due to a bad alignment.

i had the center lugs siped. i just love them. never had a problem. they'va ALWAYS balanced well each time(even the 2 bad ones). i rotate every 3k.
when i upgrade to either 31 or 33's, i'll be purchasing something different. only cuz they are Expensive.

they actually were a much more comfortable ride than the all seasons. steering response is minimal, braking is exceptional on wet pavement, even snow. ice is a whole other story tho.

my 2 bad ones, were awfully loud. unbearably loud sometimes.

best mud tire i've ever owned. they rock in the snow too.

I've run BFG ATs and MTs. Both were very good tires, which lasted many miles. The MTs were better on the rocks and in the snow. And they were pretty quiet on the road.

I just put some new Goodyear MTRs on a couple of weeks ago. Not too noisy on the road. I'll be taking them offroad for the first time in a couple of weeks.

I'm anxious to see how they do in the rocks. But I won't be complaining either way, since the tires were freeeee.

That rotation is the key on the mtr's. I work at a tire shop and from my experience if you dont rotate those every 3-5k miles they will chop badly. From what Ive heard they arent the best on wet pavement, actually pretty bad, but that without aftermarket sipes. I run the BFG at/ko and I absolutely love it in all conditions. It'll even handle the mud O.K. but you can't get into it too deep.:roll:

I would stick with an AT type tire, either the Pirelli's or the BFG's. The open lug of an MT tire will be detrimental in the sand.

I haven't run my MTR's in the sand, from what I've read they're a decent sand tire. They do better than one would think on muddy trails. They clean pretty well, and pull hard. I wasn't overly impressed with them in snow, but I'll be airing them down further next time before I make a true assessment. They are a little loud on the street, but not horrible like a Swamper. I rotate them every 3K miles, as everyone agrees that it's absolutely necessary with this particular tire.

BFG A/t ..... nuff said

fubar XJ said:
For street, sand, light rock, absolutely.

For mud, not so much.
x2.
these things SUCK THE BIG ONE in mud. they just don't clean out. i've packed about an inch more in diameter on these things, only to have them finally clean out when i got back on pavement...and of course that just crams it all into every single nook and cranney in the fender wells.
:puke:
i'm considering getting some mtr's or cooper stt's, like "Kyle Deidrick"'s rig over on Jeepforum:
DSCN0741.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

i love his heep. :clap:

Back