• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What goes bad in the wiper modules?

blue95xj

<---- Brrrrrrrr!
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone actually knew what part of the intermittent wiper modules went bad? If you haven't already noticed I have a 95 w/ intermittent wipers but the wipers generally only work on high and low(low on any selection other than high) except when its cold. which leads me to believe that its something to do with excessive resistance that is sensitive to anything above 40 or 50 degree weather. I'm trying to fix it on the cheap and since I've seen that the 88-98 fullsize chevy's wiper modules go bad due to the printed circuits burning up, which is easily fixed with a little solder and a soldering iron, I figured maybe that was the case here too. So I pulled it apart and the circuit board looks fine, but I noticed what looked like a relay, some resistors, a transistor, and some diodes. Any info would be appreciated in the mean time I'm gonna see if I can't find some schematics for the module,
Blue95xj

If it's temperature dependant, I'd suspect a bad solder joint or crack in the board somewhere. Use a magnifying glass and look real close at the solder joints around the relay and transistor for circular cracks or an unusual dull. Maybe just take the soldering iron and reflow all the joints, adding a touch more solder if needed.

Bad or "cold" solder joints are a pretty common failure in electronics, and very easy to fix assuming the bad connection hasn't killed any other parts.

Yeah I guess I'll have to check it out a little closer. I noticed that the whole circuit board assembly is covered in silicone. Should I try and remove it before touching the iron to it if I do find something?

Well I went over it with a magnifying glass and didn't see anything, So I guess I'll try and reflow the connections.
thanks for the input lawson.

Back