• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

miss leading temp gauge

JIMBOJAMES

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I am having an issue. When I go leave my house to go anywhere the temp gauge heads to the red area. Then I will stop shut it down and then 5 minutes later start driving again. The gauge reads 210-220 from then on.

JIMBOJAMES said:
Ok I am having an issue. When I go leave my house to go anywhere the temp gauge heads to the red area. Then I will stop shut it down and then 5 minutes later start driving again. The gauge reads 210-220 from then on.

Me too. I purchased a new multimeter with temp probe just to prove it, now I don't trust the gauge at all. Dangerous though-

Most OEM instruments are liars at best - they're more to give relative states, than absolutes (especially the RENIX voltmeter!)

I keep a non-contact IR thermometer in my toolbox to back-check the gage, usually at quarterly inspections. I also tend to take a "temperature gradient" across the radiator core and take readings on both tanks to make sure it's working well as well...

5-90

Sticky thermostat? I'm wondering if the gauge is telling the truth, the thermostat opening late, perhaps sticking. If the thermostat fails to open initially, it might pop open when you shut down, because it always heats up a little more after you stop.

Matthew Currie said:
Sticky thermostat? I'm wondering if the gauge is telling the truth, the thermostat opening late, perhaps sticking. If the thermostat fails to open initially, it might pop open when you shut down, because it always heats up a little more after you stop.

I thought the same thing, so I got a new thermostat. It still does the same thing.

Wa Woody said:
Like 5-90 said, I would test the gauge with an Infrared heat gun. They are getting less expensive all the time. Check at the thermostat housing. Good Luck

http://www.toolsource.com/ost//product.asp?brand_id=&sourceid=http://www.google.com/search%3fhl=en%26q=toolsource%26btng=google+search&dept_id=500&pf_id=96668&mscssid=P0SQN2TUV8R98G91VQXW4UKW5WGU0P26

Woody
are you refering to the sensor on the t stat housing. That controles the electric fan and computer stuff on my 94. the guage sensor is on the drivers side close to the firewall right by the valve cover. and I too feel my guage is off after replacing the sensor b/c it didnt wokr

Back