• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget 3" Lift on a 90

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
Searched over the millions of 3" lift threads and I think ive got this right. My buddy just bought a 1990 Cherokee and it will see no offroad time just a driver. However, he wants the lifted look so he plans to go 3" and run 31's. His budget is pretty tight so I told him to buy Used 3" full leaf packs for the rear or make an AAl. and the front GC V8 front coils with 2" spring spacers. I doubt whether he'll need an SYE, but probably a TC drop. And obviously 3" lift shocks all the way around. He should be safe using the stock control arms. As I understand it, Leaving the stock arms will make it ride crappy. Maybe down the road, he could get some drop brackets to smooth it out. And last a front end alignment. I think that should pretty much cover it.

Im new to the XJ deal, but Ive been thinking about doing this;
Id go stock ZJ coils with 1" coil spacer (That will be 3" im pretty sure) and search "bastard pack" or put another few XJ leaves and a shackle.

You would also need Quick Discos.

CustomCrawler said:
Im new to the XJ deal, but Ive been thinking about doing this;
Id go stock ZJ coils with 1" coil spacer (That will be 3" im pretty sure) and search "bastard pack" or put another few XJ leaves and a shackle.

You would also need Quick Discos.

Thanks for the reply but the GC front V8 coils add 1" of lift so with a 2" spacer , it will be 3". And my buddy isn't going offraod, so he doesn't really need quick disconnects. :eeks1:

For 3", 31's, and no off roading, your plans are mostly fine.
I'd look into a drop for the front swaybar, or extended front links. I'd also consider an aftermarket trackbar that can be adjusted for length to adjust for the lift. The trackbar on the 90 is probably worn out anyway. Control arms are fine, but the steering stops on the knuckles should have a washer or two added to prevent the tires from rubbing on the arms at full lock. No t-case drop should be needed, nor a SYE. On my 90, the SYE caused more vibes than before the change. If it's an auto, look for a manual driveshaft, they are an inch longer, to compensate for the lift.
Most of the cheap 3" lift shocks are the same length as stock. He can live without them on the street.

Fred

Fred said:
For 3", 31's, and no off roading, your plans are mostly fine.
I'd look into a drop for the front swaybar, or extended front links. I'd also consider an aftermarket trackbar that can be adjusted for length to adjust for the lift. The trackbar on the 90 is probably worn out anyway. Control arms are fine, but the steering stops on the knuckles should have a washer or two added to prevent the tires from rubbing on the arms at full lock. No t-case drop should be needed, nor a SYE. On my 90, the SYE caused more vibes than before the change. If it's an auto, look for a manual driveshaft, they are an inch longer, to compensate for the lift.
Most of the cheap 3" lift shocks are the same length as stock. He can live without them on the street.

Fred

Nice! thanks. I didn' t know that about the driveshafts. Is the adjustable trackbar absolutley essential or is it kinda like new control arms? more of a creature comfort.

if cheap is your goal, try hitting the junk yards for components like extended sway bar links, coils and control arms

about the sway bar @ 3", you can either drop the sway bar with a drop block designed for that.... but the OEM front skid plate WILL NOT fit over this.... which is why i recommend finding some longer sway bar end links at the junkyard. disconnects would also solve this problem, and is why people are recommending them.... theyre widely available used.

its cool of you to help your friend out doing research for him, tell him to ask his boss for a raise! the good stuff is expensive

I ran a 3" boost on the front of mine for a while (like 3 yrs!). It was just 3" of spacers on top of the coil. I kept the stock control arms on and can't complain about the ride. Maybe I'm just expecting it to be rough, who knows? But it wasn't bad. I never did anything for the swaybars, found out later (after removing sway bars) that the bushings were shot. The swaybar links being too short may have been helping to mask that, but that's really about the only side effect I noticed. I also kept the factory shocks on the whole time. If it becomes an issue, you can always get a set of bar pin eliminators. They'll open up more possibilities for shocks and add an inch or so to the length of the shocks, allowing you to keep stock length shocks.

Wrangler swaybar links are longer, they were on mine when I bought it with a 3" lift. Probably very cheap new, just not absolutely sure that's what they were. The previous owner said they were.

for a cheap 3" you were right with the ZJ coils with 2" spacers but you won't need a swaybar drop or extended links. i'm running 4.5" with neither and it's a DD with moderate offroading and i still have the stock links and it works fine. for the rear i'm pretty sure you can just mate 2 stock XJ leaf packs and it should give pretty close to 3" i think. you definately want new LCA's though. if you don't wanna buy new ones just get ZJ fronts as well. someone with more knowledge about this can correct me but i think they're longer than the XJ's. you might have to modify the bushings a little but that's pretty much it.

jk333 said:
As far as brake lines go, Can I just undo the front line brackets and what about the rear?
you won't need to do anything to your brakelines if you're only going with 3" and it's not a hardcore offroader that will see a lot of flex. even with full droop on 33's (as far as the fender will let me go) the brake lines in the front and rear still have about another 1.5" to go.

i had a 90 with 3" and all i did was pick up some 3" lift coils for 40 bucks from someone on here. i made longer sway bar links and i was good in the front end without a t-case drop. i also didn't go with an adjustable track bar but it was noticable. i just bought a new oem one to keep things tight. i kept the stock shocks. i went with blocks in the rear just for the ease of doing it. others on here will tell you to stay away from blocks but if budget is really what your looking for the cost is in the right spot. i wheeled mine on ocassion and drove it daily without any problems. i also tossed the rear sway bar.

Back