• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick tubing bender question

Thats a pipe bender and the diameter of the dies are different than tubing. You can modify the die with a pice of tubing cut in half but you need to search that up to find out how.

The only problem i found using one of those benders is the gradual bends. It is hard to get a sharp bend, and the one i used would not even bend a 90.

Sorry I don't have a better pic, but my friends yota was all done with pipe and a bender like that. It has survived MULTIPLE rolls.

DSC05510.jpg

the only thing with hrew and pipe is it has a seam - most use dom becasue it is seamless - i personally have seen many cages done out of hrew and SOME out of pipe - i honestly must say that it is your life under the protection/ steel and i just see it fit to use the best material for the job - anyways it is possible but the fatugue is what will kill it - or that 3,4 or 5th roll over which must always be taken into consideration

there is a thread on pirate where the pipe bender is converted for tube - pretty cool i will see if i can find it

Pipe size is measured on the inside, tubing is measured on the outside so there will be a differance in a pipe bender and a tubing bender. I would suggest saving up a little more money and buying the correct bender.

Badride said:
Pipe size is measured on the inside, tubing is measured on the outside so there will be a differance in a pipe bender and a tubing bender. I would suggest saving up a little more money and buying the correct bender.

X2!

I have a Harbor Freight pipe folder (as I call it), and I would never recommend it to anyone. Personally I dont think its worth it to save $500 and risk my rigs or my life.
Go buy a JD2 and a JD tube notcher, and youll be happy.

Can a bender suitable to fab a cage be rented?:dunno: I'm not thrilled about spending hundreds of dollars on something I'll only use a few times...

That harbor freight bender will bend heavy wall tubing for an exocage.
It will not bend thin wall tubing like EMT conduit.
Pipe is heavy wall tubing. specifically schedule 40 which that bender is made to bend.
so to answer the question. YES.
Just get the DOM heavy wall tubing and it will be fine.

outlander said:
Can a bender suitable to fab a cage be rented?:dunno: I'm not thrilled about spending hundreds of dollars on something I'll only use a few times...

You could always re-sell it. I think it would hold it's value fairly well.

Back