• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A+C Compressor Pulley

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang, My clutch went out on my A/C compressor. I had order one from the stealer, I a mean dealer. I got it, but now I am trying to figure this thing out. It looks very simple, single nut and a couple of wires. There are no instructions and I do not have a FSM or Hayes book.

Do I need a puller to get the pulley assembly off of the compressor? What should I be concerned with? I know to be careful with the A/C compressor. I know to loosen the belt and remove the fan shroud.

I may start this tonight and finishe tomorrow night. I am in Lake Forest if anyone would like to lend a hand.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

there might be a 10mm bolt inside the centre of the clutch.
i seem to remember a few good sized lock rings in there too.
i tryed to do it still mounted to the bracket, but after about 10 mins i unbloted it and moved it to where i could work on it with the hoses still attatched. HTH

unbolt it and move it where you can work on it with the a/c hoses still attached. Then take the nut off which should slide the outside part off and now you need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the magnetic clutch portion. Check the seal while you have it off, they usually start to leak from there first before they go out. If you are replacing it because it froze up save the trouble and buy a compressor because it will be welded to the front of the compressor or melted the seal in the nose.:bunny:

ryurabbit said:
unbolt it and move it where you can work on it with the a/c hoses still attached. Then take the nut off which should slide the outside part off and now you need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the magnetic clutch portion. Check the seal while you have it off, they usually start to leak from there first before they go out. If you are replacing it because it froze up save the trouble and buy a compressor because it will be welded to the front of the compressor or melted the seal in the nose.:bunny:

Thanks Rabbit. The compressor did not freeze up. clutch went out. I appreciate the info.

I am goign to tackle this over the weekend.

Well, I thought this would be more difficult than it was. I did have a major set back. After removing the battery, belt, and A/C compressor, I started working on getting the pulley assembly off. The clutch weights came off very easy! The pulley was a different story. After about 15 min working on it, I noticed the outside of the pulley coming loose, but not the inner area that connects to the shaft. So I keep working it and the pulley came off, kind of. The outer area came off but the area that connects to the "shaft: were the bearings ride was frozen to the thing. I tried to remove it but it would not come of. As I was working on it, the front seal of the compressor blew out. The snap ring must have broken or something. Luckily I was not direclty in front of it and I jumped when popped. now the compressor is shot. I called all of the local parts stores. Kragen was the only one that had one. I drove up to Santa Ana to get it. Almost $300, plus the freon. Came home, ate dinner and then installed the new A/C compressor. Luckily, the remanufactured one had the clusth assembly on it so it was a simple bolt-on. I also get to return the clutch assembly I purchsed from the dealer. I may have to pay a small restockk fee, but at least it will not be the whole $235 the thing cost me to start with. So this week I installed a new alternator ($200, plus 2 hours from work) and a new A/C compressor ($585 before I take the deaker item back).

Here's a pic of where the bearings are supposed to be:
PICT0009-1.jpg

Anyway, thanks for all of the input. And another HUGE thank you to CLEAN_RC (Scott Tell) for all of his help and guidance.

see you should have told the wife the compressor was part of her new lift kit and was totally necessary....:D

I am feeling for ya right now... I can't tell you how many times I have sold a ac comp on a chrysler product and it has come back to blow up in my face... I am sooooo glad im not working at a dealer anymore... remember its a jeep thing...

That seal was probably already on its way out. That's why you have that oily residue.

Bummer about the $$$$. Sucks when something like that happens. You just have to deal with it.

Kyung

Nice TJ by the way!

Must be a virus going around. My 01 XJ's compressor clutch bearing started making loud noises this morning while driving home from San Diego.
Man, that was a long drive, waiting for something to let go but I was lucky and made it home.
It burned up the bearing, clutch and coil.

Your bearing looks like mine; half the balls are missing.

lazyxj said:
Must be a virus going around. My 01 XJ's compressor clutch bearing started making loud noises this morning while driving home from San Diego.
Man, that was a long drive, waiting for something to let go but I was lucky and made it home.
It burned up the bearing, clutch and coil.

Your bearing looks like mine; half the balls are missing.

If you replace this yourself, be sure to have the right puller tools. The clutch assembley is $235 at the dealer. Be careful when removing the pulley and watch the clips.

Good Luck!

olympic4x4tech said:
Must be happeneing to silver xj's. Robert please remove your doors and AC compressor. I will send a ups call tag to pick them up.

And doors....:looney: haven't you learned yet? I hope to keep my doors on and straight!

rpraterxj said:
If you replace this yourself, be sure to have the right puller tools. The clutch assembley is $235 at the dealer. Be careful when removing the pulley and watch the clips. Good Luck!

Job done.
I could not get the clutch assy today and I'm leaving tonight on vacation.
I ended up buying a remanufactured pump and stripping the clutch and coil off it and transplanting it onto my otherwise good pump.
Now I have a new pump sitting in a box in case of the original pump dies in the future. Thanks for the advice.

Back