• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear shocks problem

bigmcgiv

NAXJA Forum User
well a few weeks ago i got a 94 xj sport and the rear shocks were replace when i got it. well who ever replaced them broke the upper bolts and twisted the new ones and used self tapping screws at 3-9 oclock from the stock location. :wow: well the other day i was driving on our beautiful roads here in PA . and i stated to hear a banging sound , i thought the hanger broke loose on the exhaust. well i crawled under it to see this dibacle. what would you do to repair this problem? :doh: :scared: thanks matt

I would have you give me your Jeep, its no good now........I'm kidding. Do a search in here, many,many of us have had this happen, theres a few ways to go about fixing it and its not as serious as you may be thinking.

the guy who did that is a gay lord. well 2 choices,tap and die or just weld them on,i had a similar problem and i welde one,3 months and holds up fine! hope this helps
dave

A little back-up steel could help the whole assembly. Add some BPE's and beef it up a bit. After that changing the shocks is just 2 11/16" and a couple washers.

I've broken two before. One I was able to grab with the visegrip, the other I had to use an extractor. I warned my bro and he still broke out all four. I can see someone just knocking out the nuts and using steel plates and/or big washers.

I think PA has stock in all the shock companies, lol......the roads do a real number on your Jeep, not counting the HUGE amount of salt they use here! Youll get the shocks fixed, and then youll have time to break something else on the roads here, lol.....:fuse:

You could also think about getting some BPE's as was suggested only instead of just bolting them in either weld them in place yourself or have someone weld them in.

dave92cherokee said:
You could also think about getting some BPE's as was suggested only instead of just bolting them in either weld them in place yourself or have someone weld them in.

What's a BPE?

Back