• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steam from wheel

sublime600

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, today I went to my accountant and when I got out there was a bunch of steam coming from my passenger side wheel. I couldnt pin point it because I was late already. When I got home I didnt see it but I didnt take the highway home this time. I was getting a burning smell last week. What could it be? I know my tire isnt rubbing anything I checked that first thing.

have you noticed any pulling to one side or the other under braking or while driving? sounds like it could be smoke from a frozen brake caliper. or are you sure its steam?

Take the wheel off and look at the brake rotor and caliper. I second the idea of the stuck caliper, had it happen to me on a different vehicle, but there wasn't a pulling to that side of the vehicle oddly enough.

My 92 XJ did the same thing last year.....turned out that the front break lines rot from the inside out, and the resulting flaps of rubber on the inside act as valves, that limit fluid to a certain degree......then, the caliper drags, a little, or a lot, as was the case in mine.....i replaced both rubber lines, and both calipers to be safe....and its fine again......you said about the burning rubber smell too? that would be another sign that theres a prob with the front breaks......mine did that too, and smoked a LOT, lol....i thought they were going to catch fire, so i didnt drive it til i fixed it......oh, and the lines might look fine on the inside, but they go bad on the inside, like i said earlier.......just my 2 pennies, but id have it looked at fairly quikly.....:us:

What year is your XJ? It could possibly be coolant from the overflow bottle. On my '99, the bumpstop has filled up with overflowed coolant before.

Ill have to check that out. When Im going from about 50-60mph I get a horrible shake and now that i think of it I have been having to drive with my wheel turned a little bit.

Back