• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why is my exhaust quiet?

burkett_38

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.0L with a cherrybomb muffler and a punched out cat, but my jeep is still very quiet. That exhaust should be very loud, but it is just as quiet as stock. Is there anything that could be the cause of this(clogged headers?)

Why is your exhaust quiet? Another question might be to ask why you felt it necessary to post this question twice (OEM and Modified)...not to mention the technicalities involved with running without a cat. You know, that Federally-mandated exhaust component that does not impede exhaust flow?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
Why is your exhaust quiet? Another question might be to ask why you felt it necessary to post this question twice (OEM and Modified)...not to mention the technicalities involved with running without a cat. You know, that Federally-mandated exhaust component that does not impede exhaust flow?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

maybe he wanted a broader perspective. some of the people that lurk in one forum don't lurk in others. give the guy a break! back to the OP. you might want to watch that cat, it is against the rules you know! the feds might come and kick down your door and shoot your dog!

? I duno why. A friend of mine has an 01 XJ, with a cat, and he has a cherry bomb muffler on his. It really isn't loud at all.

I can guarantee if you poke some speed holes in the down pipe it will get louder!!

If you take your cat off you better watch out for the black helicopters, they should be at your house anytime now. :gee:

People say no performance gain by losing the cat. I call BS on that but that doesn't make it a good idea to remove it. I took mine off because my jeep sounded like a shop vac when hammering on the gas pedal. I did noticed a decent increase in power my motor is also not a stock 4.0. That all bieng said its pretty damn loud with a flowmaster on it and I am thinking of just putting a good high flow cat back on it.

What Cherry Bomb muffler do you have on it? I have a Cherry Bomb Turbo, and it is actually pretty quiet.

lawsoncl said:
Have you had your hearing checked lately?

x2

Who cares?...If it's flowing well and quiet, that's awesome.

Cherry Bomb has several different models. I guess the Glasspack would be the loudest.

But I don't think today's Cherry Bomb is the same as the Cherry Bomb of the 60s and 70s. Only in name and color.

There are some sound clips on their website. But no Jeeps.

http://www.cherrybomb.com/

TheInstaller said:
What Cherry Bomb muffler do you have on it? I have a Cherry Bomb Turbo, and it is actually pretty quiet.

x2. Stock header, downtube and cat into a 2.25" CB Turbo and 2.25" pipe to the rear shackle. It is louder than stock, but not much. That's what I was shooting for anyway, cheap and quiet.

What kind of CherryBomb?

I run a CherryBomb Turbo. It's louder than stock, but still quiet.

On the otherhand, my buddy runs a Glasspack on his XJ and it's great! It sounds lovely with the 4.0.

You say you punched out the cat, did you get everything out of it? Why not just replace the cat with a straight pipe? Those things are worth a lot of money. Watch out for those feds too, they probably have a spy satellite pointed right at your exhaust! It's also against the law to speed...don't do that either or there will be big trouble mister!

thats what i was saying, a punched cat is just an open resonating chamber, it kills the sound of a nice muffler...

Back