• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alright a low idle one this time

victor_s

NAXJA Forum User
So my jeep starts up just fine. New fuel pump and all, seems a little hesitant tho. Let it warm up and the idle drop it will die. If i wanna keep her going i always gotta give it a tad of gas, and its getting really annoying doing that at stop signs. If at a red light i dont hold anything other than the brakes it will either die or for a brief second jump the rmp up high enough to actually make my jeep advance a foot or two. I'm guessing idle air control valve? Any ideas. Thanks

there are two gizmos with wiring plugs on the throttle body. the one nearest the valve covers is the IAC, and the other is the TPS. you may find it easiest to remove the throttle body to get them off, but it's not usually necessary.

IAC is next to the TPS, Throttle Position Sensor. They are both on the Throttle body. Either one can be causing your problem. IAC's get dirty and sticky, just needs cleaning and oiling. TPS sensors just wear out, frequently.

What year model and engine is it?

ehall said:
there are two gizmos with wiring plugs on the throttle body. the one nearest the valve covers is the IAC, and the other is the TPS. you may find it easiest to remove the throttle body to get them off, but it's not usually necessary.

That is true on my Renix (87-90), but is it true for the 91-01 models? I know they moved from the front of the throttle body to the rear between 90 and 91.

Alright so i cleaned out the t-body today and the IAC, put everything back together and it bucked a little bit (guessing the t-body cleaner was going through the system) then it ran awesome. I chaned the fuel filter while i was around and now its running good as far as i know. Thanks for all the help.

How high is "higher than usual"?

Is the engine at operating temperature when you are noticing the high idle?

Back