• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buzzing, what is this? (91 XJ 4.0l)

gregmondro

NAXJA Forum User
whatisthis1.jpg

whatisthis2.jpg

Test drove a 91 XJ with a 4.0l yesterday and this damn thing kept buzzing whenever the key was on (Jeep didn't have to be started, just the key in the on position). It also kept buzzing when the vehicle was being driven.

What is it, why is it buzzing, and how do you fix it?

If im looking at that right its ABS, or booster not really sure. But my old jeep('91 4.0) had the same noise i think your speaking of so i removed it.

thats the ABS pump motor. usually the accumulatoe ball goes bad and the pump motor will run continously. this can burn up the pump motor. some parts are lifetime warranty, check with your dealer to see which components are covered and which are not.

That probably explains why the antilock brake light would light up on the dash anytime the brake pedal was pressed down :D

Both XJ's I have owned have done the same thing. When you turn the key to the on possition that buzzing noise you're hearing is the fuel pump priming the lines. It will stop after a couple of seconds. And of course you will always hear it when the engine is running. I dont know if you have something else going on, but in my experience it is perfectly normal.

Freaky McPants said:
Both XJ's I have owned have done the same thing. When you turn the key to the on possition that buzzing noise you're hearing is the fuel pump priming the lines. It will stop after a couple of seconds. And of course you will always hear it when the engine is running. I dont know if you have something else going on, but in my experience it is perfectly normal.
This was not the fuel pump. It was coming directly from the item I have pictured :)

The buzzing would occur when the key was in the on position or when the Jeep was started (not just when the key was turned and the fuel pump primed) :)

I would avoid it if it has the failure prone ABS. Some failure modes of this crappy system will leave you with little or no brakes, btw. Or negotiate the price down and plan on replacing it with a 95+ booster/master setup.

Back