• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

License plate light problem

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a strange problem with my 99 XJ; I think it must be caused by a crossed wire or lack of ground somewhere. My license plate light doesn't come on with the headlight switch. It does however come on when the gate is open and I press the cargo area domelight. The strange thing is, the domelights are not controlled by pressing that like they should be. Is there a connector in the rear left trim panel that could be plugged in backward or something? I had this same problem on my 90 XJ after I put a speaker bar in it and changed the dome light wiring around but never managed to figure it out before I gutted it. Has anyone had this happen before? Please let me know if any of you have suggestions.
Thanks,
Collin

Can anyone lend a suggestion?

Check the wire harness where it enters the gate. I had to make up a new one for my 97. The harness is one piece that starts behind the spare tire. It's expensive from the dealer, so I went to the auto sound store and bought 3 feet of about 7 different colors of 16ga. wire, soldered and heat shrinked them all. The problem started that the stop bulls eye was intermittent. Then the wiper motor. The wires were broken. You might have some shorted wires there IMO.

davebz1a said:
Check the wire harness where it enters the gate. I had to make up a new one for my 97. The harness is one piece that starts behind the spare tire. It's expensive from the dealer, so I went to the auto sound store and bought 3 feet of about 7 different colors of 16ga. wire, soldered and heat shrinked them all. The problem started that the stop bulls eye was intermittent. Then the wiper motor. The wires were broken. You might have some shorted wires there IMO.
The more I think about this, I actually do have several problems associated with the liftgate. My rear wiper doesn't work, the rear defrost doesn't work (although the light comes on and my heated mirrors work), the "liftgate ajar" light never comes on, and my license plate light comes on with the dome light switch. I guess nothing in the tailgate works properly with the exception of the power lock. Maybe I will tear the harness out this spring and see what's going on. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Back