• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air system for arb's?

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking at air compressors to power my new arbs, and Im kind of at a loss, I would like to be able to operate the front and rear lockers seperately, and I would like the compressor to be somewhat quiet while driving, (so mounted under the hood). Im looking at these two:

1) http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=12820

2) http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=10255

I really like the first one, because it looks like it is built better, and it is also a kit coming with most of the needed hardware. as well as being cheaper. but the second is what is usually used to power the air lockers so Im not sure. I really don't need to be airing up and down tires, cause I usually never do anyway. but if I had a flat or something it would be nice to have the option. what would you guys do?

If you don't care about any use other than the lockers, I think the first one would be fine. I have an older ARB compressor, but it looks more like the second one--they have changed designs a number of times.

I'm getting one of the $50 Costco compressors for airing up tires, etc.

Really, a properly plumed ARB compressor will not run much at all. Mine never runs unless I'm actually using the locker(s), and then only for a few seconds. Mine is in the passenger-side cubby in the cargo area as I though this a more hospitable environment than under the hood.

I do like the ARB compressor/switches as the compressor is off until you flip the switch, which is a nice safety measure. My buddy has his compressor under the hood and wired to be hot all the time. He has related the butt-puckering feeling of having the front locker accidently engage at hiway speeds.

I use the Viair 550C, that way I can power the ARB and air up tires with the same compressor. I don't use the ARB switches since I wanted to use the compressor independently, so I use different switches for locker and compressor. I wired everything so that the compressor HAS to be on in order for the ARB solenoid to engage when I press the locker switch (no accidents that way). I use a seperate pressure switch (set at 100PSI) and 1/2 gal air tank hidden in the rear side panel.

Back