• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

compressor clutch/aux. cooling fan not working

Jeff1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 with a 4.0. I changed my thermostat last night and on the way to work i noticed my compressor clutch won't engage when the defrost is on, and the aux cooling fan doesn't come on. I turned on the AC and still no clutch engage/fan. I haven't checked any fuses or relays yet. Besides that, any ideas where to start? Any coincidence that I changed my thermo and this happened all of a sudden?
I put in a 195 deg thermo, and I did make sure I reconnected the temp sensor, although I don't think this has anything to do with it.

id say take the easy steps first and get them out of the way. check fuses and look over any electrical connectors under the hood. check to make sure your field coil is plugged in. My electric fan does not run all of the time, even when i have it on max a/c.

Jeff1 said:
When you use the defrosters the clutch still engages and the aux fan still kicks on correct? At least mine did.

It should....The fan is supposed to come on anytime the air cond is engaged. This will be an interesting resolve. Please post if and when you figure out what happened. I've recenty replaced both fans, and the condensor. I have the same problem. I haven't been able to figure our why my aux. fan isn't coming on while running or when a/c is turned on.

I was waiting to charge the system before I got too excited.

I've recenty replaced both fans, and the condensor.

So...if you changed the condensor, you must have no refrigerant in the system if you haven't recharged it, and if you haven't recharged it, the A/C should not come on because of the low pressure shut off switch senses pressure less than 20psi or ambient temp is 30* F or less...NO?

Back