• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn transfer case skid any good?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I've only found one thread where someone even mentioned this transfer case skid plate. Here's a link of the one I'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=200111318114&rd=1

The only person that spoke of it said that he pushed it into his case on two different wheeling trips. Anyone else have a bad experience with it? It is the least expensive one that I have found on any site so far, so what's the word? Good or bad?

Good for moderate wheeling, bad for big rocks.
Ive got one and its fine for what I do, (just trails, I stay away from big rocks). Its better than nothing and its worth the money. If you want something better, you will need to open the wallet further.
I know that doesnt give you a "good or bad" answer, but it really just depends on how you use it and what you expect from it.

I have one, it does the job for the wheeling I do. I am not big into very rocky terrian though. I got it for cheap so it was worth it. My only problem with it is that I had to use the spacer it comes with to keep my t-case from hitting it (I have a np242) so it hangs a little low.

87baseomatic said:
I have one, it does the job for the wheeling I do. I am not big into very rocky terrian though. I got it for cheap so it was worth it. My only problem with it is that I had to use the spacer it comes with to keep my t-case from hitting it (I have a np242) so it hangs a little low.

x2, so far I've learned to live with the "noise" but I will space it down a bit. on accell and decel the t/case just touches and sound terrible. Cheap and effective. $67+taxes can't go wrong

The Warn t-case skid is only 1/8" thick compared to most being 3/16" so it's definitely not as "beefy" as the others.

I like the design and coverage of it. I added the 1" TC drop and I have had no problems during mild runs, but the mounting hardware seems to be the weakest link to the skid. Strength is limited to the few threads that bite into the unibody on the driver's side.

It's better than stock, that's for sure. I was too lazy to remove it when I drained my TC fluid. Bad move. I should have removed it first to avoid the mess.

aparke4 said:
yeah my self tappers didnt stick either - i have sleeved bolts instead
metal too thin and fine thread self tapper bolts, half turn past tight was stripped!idiots. theres a remedy for every sickness

I have one and I have wheeled it on some moderate trails. Its been "tickled" by the rocks and has not bent yet, but it will eventually. No issues with the mounting hardware either.

If you are going to run big rocks I would get something more substantial.

I have this plate as well. I have a 231 and have no clearance issues with it.
I wheel mild trails. It will cover you as long as you don't land on the skid. If you were
to land on it, it would most likely bend up and you would then need to replace it. This
really depends on what kind of wheelin you do. No mounting issues here.

Anyone have a pic of the Warn transfer case skid installed on their Jeep, or know where I can find a picture of one installed? I am trying to get a better idea of how much clearance I can expect, and this will help me in deciding which skid I am going to go with. Thanks guys.

jeeperguy21 said:
Anyone have a pic of the Warn transfer case skid installed on their Jeep, or know where I can find a picture of one installed? I am trying to get a better idea of how much clearance I can expect, and this will help me in deciding which skid I am going to go with. Thanks guys.

I can get a pick up tomorrow. You lose almost zero ground clearance...to be technical, you lose about 1/8" due to the thickness of the material since it bolts directly to the cross member and frame rail. I'm pretty sure it doesn't hang down any further but I'll confirm tomorrow When I stick it back on (while building my rock rails :D ).

I have the warn, it's suported the entire weight of the MJ.
it is 3/16" thick though, I purchased it a few years ago and rumor has it they changed it.
you don't lose any clearance, it bolts to the front of the trans crossmember with 3 or 4 self tappers, and one carraige bolt through the crossmember.
3 more self tappers go into the frame rail.

Im pretty sure mine is 3/16 thick also but I didnt measure it. Its about 3 years old.

I have one of these and I love it - I wheel over pretty big rocks and its held up well so far. The drill bit size they tell you to use is too big though - I used 2 sizes smaller and the self tappers really bit well and I was able to tighten them. I would have been really pissed if I would have drilled all the holes first. I drilled one and test fitted the bolt and realized it wasnt going to tighten before dropping down in size. I also have the diff skids on my D30 and D35 (yeeeah little axles I know but they have great clearance and haven't broke yet LOL)

Just installed one this morning using the suggested drill size (wish you guys had posted that tip yesterday!) and I was still able to torque them down fairly well. Drilling in straight and making a round hole helps. All in all, a really easy install. It went so fast I went ahead and installed the HD radiator and aux transmission cooler today too:)

I have one, and would NOT recomend it. I bent the hell out if it. It always pushed up into the t-case. I ended up using it as a platform and rebuilt it with more support.

Of all I have seen, I would say go with one that spans between the two frame rails, like the dpgoffroad one.

Back