• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

start up noise

buster cherry

NAXJA Forum User
noob ?'s.. when i start up my jeep i get an engine rattle it goes away after about 1,2 seconds, however i will hear it again when i accelerate and rpms go to about 2500. any ideas should, i be concerned? how can it be stopped . thanks for your help

How many miles on your engine? Common noises that come with time and miles include a hydraulic lifter and a bit of piston slap. There are others too; noises are tough to troubleshoot online. Neither of the above are harmful in and by themselves. Most people start thinking of these noises as more of a "characteristic" than an issue. Oh, and turn the tunes up....:listenmus

buster cherry said:
noob ?'s.. when i start up my jeep i get an engine rattle it goes away after about 1,2 seconds, however i will hear it again when i accelerate and rpms go to about 2500. any ideas should, i be concerned? how can it be stopped . thanks for your help

check ur exhaust/cat they do that alot shake it around with the jeep off

buster cherry said:

My guess is "piston slap" not uncommon at all, my engine has that same characteristic. Normally its not a issue
I can tell you that the brand of oil can change the amount you experience. While I have experimented over the last year I have gone back to Brad Penn racing oil with that I rarely and then barely hear the piston slap. The worst was with Wal-Mart full synthetic.

did oil change today, used quaker state 20 50. i also put in some sea foam additive, it help noise doesnt last as long on start up and i don't hear it again until close to 3000 rpm. comanchedude where do i get brad penn or an equivilent. thanks

overt the weekend i removed valve cover and cleaned it. wow talk about build up, anyway, after putting it back on the start up noise last all of 1/2 second if at all, the higher rpm noise has gone away on normal driving. i do have it at about 4000 but no power loss. what if anything should i be concerned about.i will be replacing the oil pressure sending unit this weekend gauge is pegged to the right. thanks again

Back