• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake booster problem, 91 XJ

paulsaddress5

NAXJA Forum User
I have what I thought was the crappy abs system, the "booster" or something is shot, so I was just going to replace it with the 96 or earlier non abs system. My problem is, I can't seem to find the booster, and I can't get a nut off. One of the nuts holding the master cylinder on is being blocked from being taken off by the thing beaneath in, i think its some sort of ABS controller. Can someone give me advice, and tell me if this system is ok to swap to the 96 or earlier non-abs system.
Here is some pics.
IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

Who told you thats a 91???

That definetly looks like a 87-90 RENIX (probably a 90) not a 91+ HO.
You can tell by the TB, Linkage, and throttle cable. Also the EGR valve.

You can also see where the vacuum port on the intake is capped (usually goes to the booster).. very weird. Ive never seen a brake set-up like that.. but i havent seen everything! Maybe thats just the way ABS systems look lol!

is it the electric pump system? You can tell by the sound of a pump coming on when the key is turned on. If so, then the "booster" is on the pasenger side near the firewall.

i have same trouble.you need a master cylinder pre 1990 ,brake lines,3/16,a used booster from auto wreakers. remove lines and nuts from under dash,to remove complete unit.it is easy dont take unit apart it is under pressure.

ok so pre 1990. Thanks very much. I got it off via nuts under dash. So the pre 1990 mc and brake booster is simple? just 2 lines and a proportioning valve? I also need the proportioning valve correct?

!!!1 Yes i know. But i got a M/C and booster. Now with this crazyness of crap from that old system there, i can't figure out how this new proportioning valve. It looks like there is one inlet, and 4 outlets. Can someone explain where each one of the outlets is supposed to go. Like from the M/C there is two coming out, but from the looks of this proportioning valve there is only one inlet.

IMG_0557.jpg

Back