• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 w/ 456 Q: ground center pin & powertrax no-slip

xjbcca

NAXJA Forum User
Tried the search, no luck... thought I'd see if anyone has incountered this:

I've got an 8.25 that I've been runing a power trax no-slip in for a few years. I just put 456s in last month which you may know involves grinding the center pin to clear the ring gear.

Problem is: with the shaved side, the pin pressure on the lunchbox locker is uneven causing all sorts of wonderful things to happen!

I tried shaving both sides to creat even pressure, which worked for a little while, but the locker is loud as hell and acting up again.

It should be said that i shaved the pin at the top and bottom, then rotated it once it was in the carrier so as to keep the c-clip retainers (part of the locker) uneffected by the shaved pin.

My next step is to buy another pin and shave the sides (rather then top) and weld a washer to make up the difference on the c-clip retainers/center pin contact.

I know I should just buy a real locker... but I'm broke (and we all know how that works).

Anyone had this problem?
Any thoughts?
Much thanks.

Um...you're supposed to shave the ring gear, not the center pin. Thats where your problem is.

yep...shaving the inner tooth of the ring gear is what is supposed to happen. The no-slips get really moody when the center pin and the springs get whacked out in any way.

JNickel101 said:
Um...you're supposed to shave the ring gear, not the center pin. Thats where your problem is.

Thats the first I've heard of shaving a tooth... I'd say you're shitting me, but it seems to be the general consensus.

I am new to the site... but not the jeep.

I guess my best bet is to assume you're nice people who wouldn't have me mess with a spank'n new ring.

cheers then folks. I wouldn't have made that move on my own.

As already stated,you need to grind the ring gear!

We shaved the center pin when installing my No-Slip. You just have to be careful WHERE you shave it. It can't be where the springs make contact.

That was five years ago. No issues.

everyone always says grind only the ring gear, but i found that i would have had to remove way too much material in order for it clear so i ended up taking some off the teeth and the pin, works fine as far as i can tell.

well... I found a new pin, and ground enough off one ring to make me uneasy... and man is she quiet thismorning. So nice to have it function again... lets just hope I don't hammer down when the pinion is sitting on that tooth :(

THANKS GUYS...

Back