• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ / MJ Fender compadibility

You can put 97+ onto them, seen a couple coversions in the past. I don't know from first hand but I would assume so...sorry since I just re-read it and it seems to be no help.

Like stated above, doors forward are the same. 90Piosport99 put the front clip off of a 97+ on his MJ and it looks sweet. I dont belive it is too much work for the late model conversion of front ends if your interested in that.

1984-1986XJ and 1986MJ are identical
1987-1996XJ and 1987-1992MJ are identical.

You can also do the 1997-upXJ swap onto an MJ, if you're so inclined.

The reason for the 1986/1987 break is that the front clip was lengthened slightly to accommodate the inline six.

5-90 said:
1984-1986XJ and 1986MJ are identical
1987-1996XJ and 1987-1992MJ are identical.

You can also do the 1997-upXJ swap onto an MJ, if you're so inclined.

The reason for the 1986/1987 break is that the front clip was lengthened slightly to accommodate the inline six.

So then that fender wont work then :( its out of an 86 MJ and i have a 90 XJ.

Thanks for the info.

Muad'Dib said:
So then that fender wont work then :( its out of an 86 MJ and i have a 90 XJ.

Thanks for the info.

Nope - too short, front-to-back.

The essential dividing lines for sheetmetal are 1986/1987 and 1996/1997 - for the front clip. Aft of the firewall, you're more concerned with the 1996/1997 line (when they changed the body style entirely to round off the corners.)

mtmike said:
Got curious and figured I'd see if any of the aftermarket guys would list different part numbers. Parts train is the only one I copy and pasted from, but I checked several different sites and they all listed the same part number for pre-86 and post-86 Comanches and Cherokees.​

Part listing for 86 Comanche​

Hm - that's interesting. I know that engines are usually "in development" for a little while, so maybe they designed the external sheetmetal around the 258 I6? Then, just kick the front cross and firewall apart when they released the 242.

I'd just always seen that there was a dividing line from the firewall forward at 1986/1987. First time I've been shown that it's not - I'll have to dig into this some more (I know there are differences - but now, I'm not entirely certain where...)

Back