• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone used the Bullet proof steering

smsorensen

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone using the bullet-proof steering set up? Are you using the new ends and how is it working? I currently have the Rusty's conversion on my 91 and it is a mess. Thanks for your input. I know there are alot of threads on this subject but I did not see one that someone was actually using the setup.

bullet proof steering? who makes that?

EDIT - nevermind...thats the name of the company.....

Ive been looking at this kit for a while now and am finally ready to buy. I havent heard one bad thing about their products but I would sure like to know if there are any clearance issues.

I've been running their set up for about a year now. So far ive beat the snot out of it and it seems to be holding up great. i wheel in mainly big rocks.
I'm running my set up over the knuckle, with their std drag link (.220 wall) & race proof tie rod (.375wall). Their rodends are still super tight.
I should of ordered my drag link with a small close quarter bend as i was binding at full droop. i ended up using a 5/8 bolt on the pitman arm with high misalignment spacers.
Im running the stuff on a Turdy, and i had to trim the front of the coil buckets.Also i dont have any swaybar mounts.

I've been running their set up for about a year now. So far ive beat the snot out of it and it seems to be holding up great. i wheel in mainly big rocks.
I'm running my set up over the knuckle, with their std drag link (.220 wall) & race proof tie rod (.375wall). Their rodends are still super tight.
I should of ordered my drag link with a small close quarter bend as i was binding at full droop. i ended up using a 5/8 bolt on the pitman arm with high misalignment spacers.
Im running the stuff on a Turdy, and i had to trim the front of the coil buckets.Also i dont have any swaybar mounts.

So are you saying there's no room for sway bar mounts with the tie rod installed?

Their website is a little frustrating as there are plenty of pictures of XJ's, but all the tech info is about Chevy and Ford applications. Looks like a well built product though.

Nevermind, I found the burried Jeep page...

Here's the applications, options, and pricing scale....

Bullet-Proof Jeep Steering and Track Bar Systems

Anyone else out there with one of their systems installed? Seems to me with the drag link and the tie rod both mounted to the the same pivot point on the passenger side knuckle, you wouldn't be prone to the infamous "dead spot" that some of the other aftermarket systems have.

I put mine on about the same time as Matty and it is awesome! It took alot of modification to the front axle for me to install it though. I set mine up so I still have a sway bar. If I had it to do again I would have bought the tie rod with the bends at the ends, it would have saved me alot of modification time.

I was planning on opting for the tie rod with the close quarter bends that theyre advertising. The only thing Im concerned with is the possibility for the tie rod to roll when force is applied which may lead to slop. I saw a while ago some company was selling poly spacers that are supposed to eliminate the tie rod roll so maybe thats worth a shot.

How much contact are you guys running into, ie- how much do you think the tie rod should have to be bumped out?

mattyj- You said your binding the drag link, how much lift are you running?

Last edited:
I was planning on opting for the tie rod with the close quarter bends that theyre advertising. The only thing Im concerned with is the possibility for the tie rod to roll when force is applied which may lead to slop. I saw a while ago some company was selling poly spacers that are supposed to eliminate the tie rod roll so maybe thats worth a shot.

How much contact are you guys running into, ie- how much do you think the tie rod should have to be bumped out?

mattyj- You said your binding the drag link, how much lift are you running?

Roll shouldnt be a problem because you will be using spherical rod ends (heims) not std type tie-rod ends.

Im running about 6" lift, 3 link longarms with 12" travel shocks.

Well I am thinking about having a bend on either end of the tie rod and both ends of the drag link. I have about 6" lift also but I dont want to heavily modify the axle. If I put even a 5 degree bend on either end of the tie rod then it would push out the center enough that I may not have any clearance issues with the track bar bracket or the diff cover. Is that a bad idea?

That the reason I was talking about roll, because the tie rod will have a moment arm on it since its no longer inline with the heims.

mattyj- You also have a 6" kit, is it a long arm or short arm kit?

There was a good thread awhile back discussing roll with the RK X-Factot kit!
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=947409
RKXJXF+STEERING_02.jpg

Last edited:
Is there an inherent dead spot in this steering system as there is in the JCR?
No.

I have it and like it a lot.

I had to have a friend raise the sway bar links and shorten and raise the track bar so it was parallel (RE low end track bar). Other than that, no other mods needed… but mine is currently set up UTK. When I go to OTK, I may need further mods???

Back