• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for advice on lift size for 31's specifically.

Skylar

NAXJA Forum User
I have some fat 31's that are so new I won't be replacing them anytime soon, hopefully. The XJ is stock height (I bought it with many exterior upgrades and custom parts, including the wheels and tires. Just no lift or suspension upgrades) so rubbing is an issue of course. But I'd like to do some camping and light trail running, so is a mild (3") lift what I wanna go after?

In addition to a number of inches to lift, I'd be interested to find out what manufacturer to buy from, I've done some research and it looks like R.E. make the nicest and priciest gear. As opposed to R.C. which is just that, opposite. If possible I'd like to get good parts for a good price. I don't know the market so I'm asking the real-lifers here on NAXJA

I searched and haven't exactly found the answers to my questions. Thank you for your time. I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
I like a 3" lift for 31s. It looks right, doesn't sit too tall, and gives you the clearance you need. I don't have a specific kit to suggest though, since mine is bastardized mystery stuff :)

i would go with a 3 inch if i was you. as far as brand goes, R.E. seems to make some pretty schnazy stuff, and i dont hear too many bad things about them.

I have the 3" RC with 31's. If doing it again, i would skip the add a leafs and use s-10 bastard packs or get new rear leaf packs. (which I will be doing soon). There is a rough country thread here somewhere, and one of their reps is on it standing tall behind his products. I have called and orderd from him. Gives a good discount to naxja folks and fast shipping. I can't comlain about it at all. :compwork: Here's that thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921218&highlight=rough+country

Last edited:
3" is plenty, but I like my 4". Gives it that extra 'lifted' look. Didn't notice a huge difference in handling from 3", either. I'm cheap, so I've pieced my own lift together over time, but the RE 3.5 lift kits seems to be very well thought out and have quality components.

Im running 31's with no lift at all on my '01, and I love it Just some fender triming and TJ rear flares all the way around.

These 31's rub alot. The fronts rub the bushwackers like mad if I cut the wheel. If I have a passenger, they rub quite easy on this rotten Michigan pavement. A lift is a must for mine, I want the accessability to offroads as well.

(I know about pavement in MI - but keep it cool, OK? -Ed.)

Last edited by a moderator:
3 inches will work fine for 31's on stock rims with stock backspacing. 31's on aftermarket rims with less backspacing work better with 4 inches if you're going to work the suspension.

Old Man Emu. Good comfortable on road manners. Gives a decent ride height, get a set of JKS quicker disconnects and an SYE and call it good.

Need a vendor, Call DPG at (316)776-9900 Hours: Mon-Thurs. 9am-5pm / Fri. 9am-noon (Central time). They are a NAXJA sponsor, they have great service, and will spend time on the phone with you to make sure you are getting what you need, not what they want to sell today.

Good choice,
Tom

I have 4.5 inches of lift with 265/70/16's and I love it. It's a RE 3.5 Super Flex with boomerang shackles in the back and a one inch spacer in the front. I have sway bar disconnects in the front to flex more when I'm offroad. Here are some pics to help you decide what you want.
100_3914.jpg

100_3915.jpg

100_3918.jpg

My ThumperXJ has OME springs and shocks (3 inch lift), with RE spacers and shackles that put it right at four inches straight. I run 31x10.50 Cooper STT Discoverers on American Racing 16x8s Standard backspacing. No rubbing. Kick A$$ ride, too, on AND off the road
thumpersdriver_1115333504.jpg

Back